Web Pages

I have a dumb question - I am not a web saavy page builder and I was wondering if there are any good, user friendly packages out there that can make it easy to build a good quality home page for my existing domain name. Not the cheap, 4-page limiting stuff you get at places like register.com...but good quality, for graphics, loading pictures, narratives, etc...but won't require a second mortgage to pay for...

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dreamweaver or (ick) FrontPage are both good for designing a website without too much HTML know-how.

The cheapest way (free) to get narratives and pictures online is blogger.com + flickr.com, but using those won't give you a website under your domain name.

Custom web design won't be cheap any time soon.

Thanks!...which is easier to use? Does FrontPage require knowledge of code? The more user-friendly the better....Dreamweaver appears to be slight more on price but neither are bad...I'd pay a little more for user-friendy aspects....again, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Homesite was a good option a few years ago, dont know about today, though.

Regardless of how much you will try to get away with it, Steve, in the end knowing something about HTML will be required and it won't kill you either.

• 2 weeks later...

dood what's wrong with the set-ups you get through Yahoo, or others? You pay like x amount (super cheap) a month and you get their page building program et all. I'm the most un-tech friendly person there is...yet I was able to make (still working on) a website?!?!!!

Hi Marie...I have in fact messed with some of these page builders...I had a site moved along quite nicely with one of these canned page builders but to be honest with you, I became underwhelmed with its look (cheap and tacky) and felt very limited with what I could do with it (not much and I had far more volume of things I wanted to do than it could provide)...So my question here is one that results from really just wanting better & higher quality for the site I want to eventually maintain...and if that means becoming well-versed in HTML, so be it...I love a challenge!...The canned builders are fine but I just want more than that...thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but this is the website i used many years ago to teach myself html. I think it's very good and it's free and the tutorial you can do online or download and do offline. I only had to spend a few hours on it to get a pretty good working feel for writing html.

www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/lessons.html

Then, for slightly more advanced html writing tips I often reference this site:

html goodies