Route most likely to end in unexpected bivy

RichardKorry

After reading a TR of an unexpected bivy on W Ridge of Stuart, I began to wonder what people thought was the route most likely in resulting in an unexpected bivy.

The W Ridge on Stuart seems a candidate as it's long, offers many route finding challenges, is often done early in one's alpine career and the descent is very long.

Other candidates?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be done in a day but why

Because climbing with shit on your back sucks.

Because hauling packs sucks (and trashes your pack).

Because the longer you take on a route the better chance you have for the weather to deviate from the forecast.

Maybe it doesn't bother you but personally given the choice I rather climb something sans pack on my back.

If you want to hang out do it at the lake or somewhere where you can escape easily. snugtop.gifwave.gif

Speed is an essential part of climbing, some routes you simply can't lag on, I learned that lesson on Dragontail years ago. but on others that luxury can be a real and exciting part of the whole climb. A planned bivy can be cool, if everything goes according to plan!

being old and slow probably has about 98% of my decision making as to pre-plan a bivy or to go for it.

When I did WR stuart, we planned on bivying on route and did, just above the west ridge notch. It is one of my most memorable climbing/camping experiences. The only thing we added to our packs that we wouldn't have had on a day climb is a little more food a 1.5 lbs sleeping bag. We had a perfect forecast so we took no bivy sacks, we sleep on our packs so we had no pads, there was no snow to melt so we took no stove. It was aswesome. Next time I might try to bivy on the summit seeing as how we were only ~400 feet from the summit anyhow. thumbs_up.gif I just don't see the car-to-car push as a big weight savings in that situation.

We did pass a guy coming down that route that was soloing it in a day. He had a water bottle clipped to his harness and a rope on his back (he had just rappeled down from LJT). thumbs_up.gif I need more gear than that whether its a car-to-car or overnight trip!!

But back to the original post, although I haven't done it, I think the route that most people spend more than the expected amount of time on is a pretty obvious one, lib ridge. I guess you could make the arguement that those unplanned, subsequent nights are not unexpected bivies though.

How many people try to do NEB of Slesse in a day? Most people count on bivying?

I'd wager NR Stewie sees a lot of unplanned bivies since its a "classic" (i.e. gumby magnet).

[chestbeat] WR Stewie is quite a reasonable day trip [/chestbeat]

The Lillarete on Mt. Athelstan seems to have overmatched a number of parties.

the Angels Crest has had a number of bivs near the top too, and escapes by the gully. there's even a bunch of hurriedly constructed bivi p[latforms on top of yak crack yellaf.gif