Black Power @ leavenworth

Sol

I couldn't help but notice the amazing arete climb Black Power on my way back from Careno Crag the other day. holy shit, that things straight outta hard grit. sick. I noticed some shinyness in the horizontals up high, what's the word on fixed pro up on it? Has this climb seen a repeat since greg collum and partner first climbed it? I'd love to get worked on it, does anyone know the logistics of top-roping it? thanks for any info.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mec beat me to it!

blah ba blah ba blah.

c'mon no hard people coming out of the wood work on this one. if you've ever seen this line, it is ssiiiccckkkk!

it must be super-hard (sandbag) coming from greg collum and crew.

c'mon no hard people coming out of the wood work on this one. if you've ever seen this line, it is ssiiiccckkkk!

it must be super-hard (sandbag) coming from greg collum and crew.

Looked at it - looks hard as hell

Glad I'm not the only one who winces when they see Greg Collum's name.

Not that FAist Greg Child wasn't a hard man too

Is it wet right now? I seem to recall that climbing being in a drip zone -

Side note - any new info on the routes on the left side of the Drip Wall? I assume they're wet now too....

• 3 years later...

Nope i never did.

It did get sent by semi-local climber this fall after others had deemed it impossible.

Not to bad to tr i've heard, rap station set up to get to anchors which are pretty crappy, but can be backed up. Still inspired for the spring.

I tr'd it a few years ago with Cole, the bottom is not so bad but the slab is semi impossible. Actually, not really impossible just super hard. Cole found a series of moves that seemed to work but I don't think he linked it up, toe hooking was involved.

On a slab...

Drew redpointed the route by veering left at the top to another feature that's much easier. Jens played around on it one day and also found a sequence through the slab, reconfirming it's difficulty.

Another case of Leavenworth micro-crystals radically changing a slabby route? I think so. It's cool that it still goes though, somebody strap on some Kaukulators next summer and get after it!

I found the anchor bolts under a thick carpet of moss and pretty much unusable. You can rig an anchor but some shiny bolts would be better.

Anybody want to sponsor me a drill in the name of Leavenworth area bolt replacement? Probably not but it's worth a try.

Other routes that are either super sandbagged or have changed in the decades since the first ascent:

Boo Arete, Careno Crag

Doin' the Dishes, Classic Crack

Dukes of Ballet, Warrior Wall

• 4 weeks later...

The bottom of Boo looked scary from below but isn't so bad, especially if you know the pro and the moves. The crux is only scary because of the old bolts. I agree they need replacement but not rearrangement.

I heard Dukes was rebolted, which is awesome. But did it see a redpoint? I tried it last year and was unable to link the moves. Not impossible but possibly harder, maybe I just need more slab practice.

The rock is losing the snow around here but climbing is out. Hopefully it gets colder at least and the ice comes back.

• 4 weeks later...