Trango EVO S on Rainier in early June?

Heavy_B

I have a pair of the Trango S boots and love them, but wouldn't consider doing Rainier in them this early. I have a buddy flying up from CA that does a ton of climbing down there and he's insisting that he wants to bring those (he actually has the newer EVO S) for the trip up the Emmons this weekend. I told him that I thought it was a bad idea, but I've never tried them in deep snow or a big hill like Rainier. Does anyone have any feedback on this? I basically told him that it was a bad idea and offered to loan him a pair of plastics. Any feedback is welcome.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a week at Schurman & climbed the Emmons in June and had absolutely no probs with my Trango S boots.

Granted, sleeping in the ranger hut might have had something to do with comfort level, but my feet were never cold climbing high on the mountain.

Just wear good socks and have fun.

Thanks all for the great input. Don't get me wrong - I prefer to climb in leathers and/or softer shell boots, but have generally done Rainier in plastics when I'm not in the cattle trail. There will possibly be a good path up the Emmons by this weekend, but I haven't been up there to see and haven't seen any posts about it. With the forecast for this weekend we may spend a couple days in a tent anyway.

IMO the Trango EVO S is not in the same class as the Freney XT.