Japanese Gardens

pope

Here's the deal..everyone made their point. I think everyone agrees - even Toast - that Jap as used here was merely shorthand for Japanese and that their was no slur intended. Case closed on the RC forum. feel free to discuss this subject elsewhere.

Must agree with Toast. The point is not that everybody agrees that no slur was intended (even if that were true). The point is that the word "jap" in its conventional use is considered by many Japanese Americans (and some white folk too) to be offensive. That should be enough. Shame on you for using the word (your convenience, Toast's expense). Shame on you for having to be corrected by somebody who is offended. Shame on you for excusing your own clumsy writing.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

listen, i know that none of us wants to think we've glossed over a racist comment. let alone admit that it never occurred to us that someone might be offended. it certainly didn't dawn on me when i read the post that someone might be upset by it. my knee jerk response is "oh lighten up, you know what he meant and it wasn't meant as an insult"

that said, it certainly doesn't hurt to be made aware that somethings are still insulting no matter what the intention was.

And why/since when is "biner" a derogatory term for a Hispanic person?

If you spell it "beaner" it becomes a rude racial epithet.

I never heard of it before I moved out to the west coast, though.

Hmmm. I didn't know that one. I guess I should hang out with more rednecks.

And why/since when is "biner" a derogatory term for a Hispanic person?

If you spell it "beaner" it becomes a rude racial epithet.

I never heard of it before I moved out to the west coast, though.

Hmmm. I didn't know that one. I guess I should hang out with more rednecks.

Are you suggesting I... oh, whatever.

Sometimes people use a slur without hardly realizing it. One time a guy I was in grad school with came up to me in a bar and said "dude, that Dig Dug machine just hebrewed me out of a quarter!" Of course he was from Alabama so that makes him an honorary redneck.

"Gyp" has lost most of its original racist association, but I think that's just because there aren't many Gypsies in the US.