truck topper security

BillA

So, a few years ago the lock on my truck topper broke, it was a really crappy lock that would have been easy to pop open anyway. I'm finally looking to fix it because I want to be able to lock my gear up in the back again. Does anyone have any idea where to get parts to replace something like that or if there are any aftermarket locking systems that are beefier? I've searched online and haven't found much. Any ideas?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A local locksmith might be able to do something. I've found ones around here to be pretty cheap too...

I also taught myself to weld which enabled me to customize all kinds of racks and brackets for my own truck. A simple MIG welder is fairly cheap and pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it...

-Fear

Bill;

If you're here in the Seattle area there are a couple of canopy sales outfits that also carry aprts. Check the yellow pages for North Seattle (aurora) and Puyallup/Tacoma. A visit down there and they matched the broken lock on mine.

Larry's got it right. Unless you're talking about an expensive, tradesman's topper, the stock locks are near worthless under the best of circumstances. Just add a hasp and padlock—two, if prone to attacks of paranoia—between topper door and tailgate. Attach with sheet metal screws or similar, with a bit of locktite to secure them against vibration. While you're at it, secure the tailgate as well by whatever combination of eyebolts, hasps, cane bolts, dog leash clips, universal links, chains or other paraphernalia grabs your fancy. The idea is to attach the tailgate securely to the truck bed before shutting the topper door in such a way that you can easily un-secure it. Tailgate secured to bed, door secured to tailgate.

At least, this is what I did when preparing to move cross country with $25,000 worth of tools and musical equipment crammed into my little SR5 under a cheap Leer topper.

Hope that helps.