1977 Yosemite Plane Crash

Ricknie

In 1977 a plane loaded with dope crashed into Lower Merced Pass Lake. I knew the pilot and his wife since high school. His wife and I are working on co-authoring a book about the incident. I am looking for anyone that can recall any stories about what went on in the area during the first few weeks following the crash. We are not looking to expose anyone, we are looking for stories to add to what we already knew happened up to that night.I have talked to a few ex park employees as well as quite a few of the original C4 gang that were there at the time and have gotten their take on things. Anyone else? You are welcomed to email me or call me at the number below.

Rick Schloss

San Jose, CA

408-295-1501

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone saw Sylvester Stallone's movie, "CliffHanger" it was written on the premise of this crash. There have been a number of books written on the crash. By the way, the pilot was from Seattle. Almost no one knows that tidbit of info.

We are not looking to expose anyone,

By the way, the pilot was from Seattle. Almost no one knows that tidbit of info.

wazzup.gif

Wasnt there like 3 stories written about this in Alpine, some Hardy Grimper shit or was that something else

You miss my point about exposing anyone. Many of those that are coming forward to tell their story would prefer to remain annonymous. Many have families or jobs that might be impacted by their past.

The pilot's name and info are public record.

I don't know about stories written in Alpine.

Hey Ricknie - seems like you've fallen prey to the low reading comprehension on this site...

Hey everone. Here's what the guy has said:

we are looking for stories to add to what we already knew happened up to that night.I have talked to a few ex park employees as well as quite a few of the original C4 gang that were there at the time and have gotten their take on things. Anyone else?

Seems to me that he's likely read the other published stories, knows which rockjocks to talk to, and was wondering if any cc.com jokers have anything personal or original to add.

Seems to me that he's likely read the other published stories, knows which rockjocks to talk to, and was wondering if any cc.com jokers have anything personal or original to add.

For those not in the know a few suggestions are helpful.

I dont think its reading comprehension, I think his first post sounded as though this was something new and he was writing a book on it, when in reality it has been in 4 issues of Alpinist including the most recent one, as well as a plethora of other books. He asked for input and I think most people told him that there was a bunch of stuff already and he should try there. In fact, and I think you would agree with me here, all the replies have been quite cordial and un-cc.com.

Edited by jmace

It did help make that summer very entertaining in the valley. Some of the stuff had the annoying habit of bursting into flame when smoked in a joint, rumor was that this was due to getting soaked in fuel. Best enjoyed in a pipe. This shot is from that summer, in the Lodge lot, back in the day when you could sleep in your van for free there for the entire summer. Note the home made india print curtain on the window.

463865-yosemite1977.jpg

463865-yosemite1977.jpg.dc8c13e274c4e6b02f1c819ee7f2a61e.jpg

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I've been posting this story on a half dozen other climbing forums from the West coast to the UK. Since almost 30 years have passed, it only makes sense to search world wide for those that might have either been there or have close friends that were.

So far we have almost a dozen people that have come forward to tell their stories. The great thing about this is that no one knows everything about what went on. I know the plane/cargo/trips side of it, but not the Yosemite side. When we finally write this (we figure at least a year from now) there will be our side, the C4 Gang's side, as well as the investigation and those people's side. I am in touch with the retired investigators on the cast and they have a ton of stuff to tell as well.

So again, if anyone has any ideas or tips, feel free to pass my name and email/phone number around as well as PM me.