Rainier Weather

Trundle

I have only gone up high on the mountain on what has ended up as bluebird days. We were thinking about heading up tomorrow for the Ingraham Direct, but are looking at a forecast of Mostly cloudy with chance of snow showers.

I'm not too worried about a bit of weather as we are all prepared for it, but I don't want to just go sit in a tent for 2 days either.

Any input on the upper mountain conditions in similar weather? Navigable? White-out?

I know it's a bit vague and conditions change, blah, blah... just looking for some experienced suggestions, not exact fortune-telling. Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the weather can be fine above 6k and shit below, it can be shit both places, and it can be fine below and shit above. this weekend it was the first option.

the ingraham direct is strait forward and no-doubt has a massive trench cut into it currently leading to the summit (unless it gets buried in new snow-fall) - i odn't know if rmi is guiding yet, but when they are there's a non-stop line of wands to boot.

go. take copious amounts of magical herbs. you'll have a good time regardless.

I was up on the Muir Snowfield with my son on Memorial Day weekend (Friday and Saturday) and the RMI folks were marching in lockstep up the slopes. Also saw lots of people below Panorama point practicing climbing skills.

As for the weather, I have found that the MT Rainier recreational forcast available by navigating the RNP website to be very accurate. 16 trips to the mountain and they've been right 13 out of 16 of those visits.

Good luck on your trip. Hope you have a blast!!! mushsmile.gif