[TR] Hood- dog 5/28/2005 + photo link

markseker

Climb: Hood-dog

Date of Climb: 5/28/2005

Trip Report:

Exec Summary - Renee (5th summit) and I (...21st) led our pals Myra and Mark and Patty to the scene of this party, and sure enough we entertained ourselves and all of Oregon who could see the summit of Mt Hood with the most colorful summit antic I've ever seen. Surf here to see what was happening at 5:45am on May 28th at the highest point in Oregon (warning: may need glacier specs to view): http://members3.clubphoto.com/mark258190/3298321/

Trip Report detail - Time log: 11:02pm depart TL Lodge @ 6000'; 4:30am depart Hogsback @10,500'; 5:32am arrive summit @11,240'; 6am depart summit; ~9am arrive beer cooler at car; Air cond: 55F to start (very warm), light NE winds entire route, summit 10-15 mph steady ~40F. High thin clouds blocked 3/4 moon, thus we used headlamps until 4am. Surface cond: dirt trail avail to silcox, then snow stairway entire route to summit; excellent footing in non-icy soft snow with little postholing; Crampons on @ 9500'; Shrund open with easy crossing west of center; Followed teams above thru old west chute (my first) up, then used std pearly gates on descent; Hogsback crowd control: ~100 summitters today, we were among first 25, thus avoided hogsback jam. We chose no rope up or down, although most teams used ropes. Usual idiots present with jeans, no crampons, poorly roped, etc. Glisaded from crater rock to silcox in soft then slushy snow. Team cond: Pasta pre-game meal at our home 7pm. Climbing we moved quickly up with short transitions/breaks. Renee felt nauseated up high but climbed thru it; Hogsback descent was slow for our two least experienced; Summit antic: Luau party. All felt good, no issues, except for the sandwiches I left at home. Ran into Jay C and Ed B leading 11 and solo Kipp B.

-m

Gear Notes:

rope/harness may have helped novices on descent of the hog

Edited by markseker

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic