Ptarmigan and Curtis Ridge pics from today

Fairweather

Mowich Lake Road opened earlier this week so the kid and I hiked up Observation Rock today. In case anyone is interested, I took a couple of pics of the upper mountain that may help anyone considering. Ptarmigan (traditional route) looks like it is in good shape once it cools down. (HOT today!)

Both pics taken today 5/28 from the top of Observation Rock.

Ptarmigan Ridge:

869SSCN0159.JPG

Curtis Ridge:

869SSCN0158.JPG

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only about 20% snow to Knapsack and melting fast. None of it steep...you could do it in tennis shoes if you had to. Crossing over the Spray Park area is still about 75% snow covered. Lots of ski tracks. We hiked out via Spray Park Trail on the way down and it is snow free all the way to the top of the switchbacks right to the lower edge of the park. This was my son's first trip out this season, so we were a bit slow @ 5hrs to the top of Observation Rock.

Tried out my new LaSportiva Trango EVO's. VERY comfortable, but definitely NOT waterproof in wet snow.

Same side, different day, different angle...

I was going to post this for those wondering what the north side access routes looked like and figured I'd just tag it onto your shots. Family outing to Summit Lake on Friday May 27th...

6055DSC03403-1.JPG

If you want the high-res image, you can find it here...

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/show...=500&page=1

Did you have (or WISH you had) snowshoes? I'm guessing you were postholing pretty bad without them.

-kurt

sweet, that must have been you we saw heading up the right variation 'round noon on saturday - you might have noticed us coming up the lower ridge to the bivy early saturday morning. we went left at the major rock cliff where you went right. thanks for the tracks on the lower part.

Yeah that was us... We were looking down at you guys from that spot for sure, but thought it was a party of hikers who said they were going to that spot. We could hear you talking and stuff. Pretty cool! thumbs_up.gif Bummer you guys didn't hook on to our tracks on the upper part of the route. How was the ice gully? We were 50-50 as to which way to go, but that exit gully sounded neat enough to give it a try. It was all iced over when we got to it, so there was no chance of rock moves. Got absolutly hammered with spindrift (in my friggan ear) but managed to get through it without much of an incident. Upper slopes were ruthless in that snow. I was pooped by the time we made liberty cap. Chris is going to post a TR and some pics, and I'm looking forward to seeing yours. What a fun route, eh? Sorta wish there was a bit more ice and less postholing though.