Long dumb weekend ski trip. You know you want it.

Crazy_Jeff

I really have to do something dumb this weekend. I'm hoping for a long approach, but it's not a necessity. I've got from Friday late afternoon through all of Monday free. I'm not set on any one thing, but I need to stay out at least Sat-Sun for a healthy overnighter.

If this doesn't entice you, then at least have pity on me and give me a good idea for a long solo-able ski trip.

However, to those of you who find this idea very tasty, I will offer a free ride, free gatorade, and free beer.

Jeff

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gawd, go get the Boulder-Park on Baker. It's not a long and sick approach except for those who live further south smile.gif . If the weather is decent, as it looks saturday, some skiing up there is always a good place to be. Otherwise traversing the goat rocks is fun. Go in conrad meadows (gilbert approach) and out tieton (old snowy approach). You can tag 3 or 4 peaks...

I love the way you guys think. Actually I have a toss up going in my head right now as to the BP cleaver or glacier peak.

There isn't a real risk of (hidden) crevasses above 7500' right now, is there? My impression is that stuff is still filled in pretty nicely.

I would not be worried about falling in crevasses provided that I had skis on my feet and didn't have to cross any obvious bridges or depressions. I'd personally be more apprehensive about unstable snow leading to potential slides. I would stay off of avy terrain if it gets too warm.

last June I skied the Park glacier as part of a baker traverse (up the coleman-deming, down the park and traversed out to the baker ski area)

anyways...we skied it a week after there had been significant snowfall and the east facing aspects of the park had turned to complete schmoo by early afternoon (we shoulda known better). We still skied it, but ski cutting the glacier was causing all the recent snowfall to release and slide...which was particularly alarming cause the slope couldn't have been more than about 20-25 degrees steep.

...so long story short, be careful around south and southeast facing aspects cause they're gonna heat up fast and by mid-morning could be pretty hazardous for solo travel.

have fun!

Also, I think the mowich lake road is open on Rainier...easy access up to the Flett glaciers and Spray Park area of Rainier...lots of cool cruiser terrain and long runs on the Russell glacier...nice place for a solo trip.