• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
summitseeker

Helicopter lands on Mt. Everest Summit

The summit of Everest hasn't been "sacred" for a long time....

Anything strewn with tons of garbage, fixed lines, and frozen bodies usually doesn't qualify....

Just wait for the $250,000.00 helicopter rides to start up....

-Fear shocked.gif

It's interesting that in discussions of altitude sickness & acclimatization they always make the point that if you flew up to the top of Everest and got out of the copter, you'd be dead within a minute. I assume this pilot had the oxygen bottle on full flow.

I guess you could ferry folks up there, strap on bottle of oxygen and let them have a picnic until their O's run out.

That press release cracked me up. That was one hell of a marketing stunt to prove product superiority. At least they are helping out with rescues lower down on the mountain.

The summit of Everest hasn't been "sacred" for a long time....

Anything strewn with tons of garbage, fixed lines, and frozen bodies usually doesn't qualify....

Just wait for the $250,000.00 helicopter rides to start up....

-Fear shocked.gif

Well the only thing I got to say is that now that there are able to fly that high there definitely is no excuse to continue turning that mountain into a trash heap. Maybe they will take this advancment in flying and use it for good causes instead of just ferrying rich people up for their 250k picnic.

Maybe, or maybe if someone so much as spat on the landing skid the ship would crash on takeoff. I guess it could just drop off the side to get air flowing in the collective. Some serious pay for the pilot who slings loads from the south col. hellno3d.gif

Or maybe it becomes a joint venture between the two countries to establish a pressurized summit haus, now that a heli can get there. Imagine the revenue they could generate from the masses...

I doubt this will lead to any type of tour to the top. I think it's kind of cool in a way, they're just after some arbitrary record, just like anyone else who climbs Everest. Didn't know choppers could fly so high, dang!

I didn't know that they could fly that high, either. I'd like to know what's under the hood of that thang. confused.gif

Am I the only one to notice that the model name of the A Star helicopter is the "Ecureuil," which is French for "squirrel?"

snaf.gif on the summit of Everest!

Am I the only one to notice that the model name of the A Star helicopter is the "Ecureuil," which is French for "squirrel?"

snaf.gif on the summit of Everest!

Uhhhhh, no, in fact you are not. Catbirdseat beat you to this vivid insight two days ago in Spray. See this thread, 11th reply.

I think it is fitting that the first helicopter to land on top of the world is named after a snafflehound. snaf.gif