if i had to get a station wagon

thelawgoddess

My 6-speed A6 2.7T is plenty fast. 0-60 in 5.9, and it will happily and capably hammer down the freeway all-day at triple digit speeds.

Repairs on a non-warrantied car can indeed be expensive, but again, based on my experience, an expensive repair that is not needed is not expensive...

5.9? Haha. C&D says 7.7. Any good german car does 100. As for repairs, it's a turbocharged sports car with pneumatic suspension. The question isn't if, but when the big ass bill is going to hit. 5 years is new in it's life. Hope you enjoyed the $40k sticker.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 6-speed A6 2.7T is plenty fast. 0-60 in 5.9, and it will happily and capably hammer down the freeway all-day at triple digit speeds.

Repairs on a non-warrantied car can indeed be expensive, but again, based on my experience, an expensive repair that is not needed is not expensive...

5.9? Haha. C&D says 7.7. Any good german car does 100. As for repairs, it's a turbocharged sports car with pneumatic suspension. The question isn't if, but when the big ass bill is going to hit. 5 years is new in it's life. Hope you enjoyed the $40k sticker.

The 5.9 number came from C&D. Most other mags had it at 6.0. And again, I'm talking about the 6-speed, not the automatic, which is probably closer to the 7.7 number.

As for mileage, I drove from PDX to the coast and back the other day, and got 27.8 mpg. Trips to Smith average about 26 mpg. Trips on I-5 to Seattle average closer to 30. I consider that pretty damn good for a rather heavy car that's not being driven timidly.

Only the Allroads have the pneumatic suspension.

As for big-ass bills, yeah, with more expensive German cars you have that possibility, but I think there are a couple of different perspectives on it. I"ve owned my share of Hondas and such, and yeah, they're generally pretty reliable over the long-haul, and thus generally pretty cheap to own. But once you get past 100K miles, Hondas and similar (don't even get me started on Subarus...) tend to degrade in a way that I don't much care for. Things get flexy, and squeaks and rattles and such increase rapidly, and the whole platform seems to degrade. The better-built German cars may need some maintenance/repairs that are perhaps more expensive than the Honda, but there's a certain solidity left in the car that I prefer over the long haul. I think I'd rather drive at 100+ MPH in a 150K mile BMW than in a 150K mile Honda. Of course, opinions vary on this, as do people's ability to maintain the more expensive cars. Different kinds of economies for different folks...

The 5.9 number came from C&D. Most other mags had it at 6.0. And again, I'm talking about the 6-speed, not the automatic, which is probably closer to the 7.7 number.

As for big-ass bills, yeah, with more expensive German cars you have that possibility, but I think there are a couple of different perspectives on it. I"ve owned my share of Hondas and such, and yeah, they're generally pretty reliable over the long-haul, and thus generally pretty cheap to own. But once you get past 100K miles, Hondas and similar (don't even get me started on Subarus...) tend to degrade in a way that I don't much care for. Things get flexy, and squeaks and rattles and such increase rapidly, and the whole platform seems to degrade. The better-built German cars may need some maintenance/repairs that are perhaps more expensive than the Honda, but there's a certain solidity left in the car that I prefer over the long haul. I think I'd rather drive at 100+ MPH in a 150K mile BMW than in a 150K mile Honda. Of course, opinions vary on this, as do people's ability to maintain the more expensive cars. Different kinds of economies for different folks...

"We hit 60 mph in 7.7 seconds, just as Audi predicts for European Allroads. If its guesses at performance for the lighter U.S. version are as trustworthy, that will drop to 7.3 seconds with Tiptronic and 6.8 seconds with the six-speed." C & D. Only the Allroad has pneumatic suspensions, only the Allroad has clearance.

I've driven a Mercedes with 300k, and 2 Hondas to 160k. Yes the Benz was nicer to drive faster. $6k repair jobs suck, and every single repair, plus regular maintenace is more expensive. Not to mention insurance, not to mention how much premium gas blows. As for 100+ regularly, whatever rolleyes.gif

But as you said, different $ for different folks. I prefer to talk the several $k a year difference and travel.

"We hit 60 mph in 7.7 seconds, just as Audi predicts for European Allroads. If its guesses at performance for the lighter U.S. version are as trustworthy, that will drop to 7.3 seconds with Tiptronic and 6.8 seconds with the six-speed." C & D. Only the Allroad has pneumatic suspensions, only the Allroad has clearance.

I've driven a Mercedes with 300k, and 2 Hondas to 160k. Yes the Benz was nicer to drive faster. $6k repair jobs suck, and every single repair, plus regular maintenace is more expensive. Not to mention insurance, not to mention how much premium gas blows. As for 100+ regularly, whatever rolleyes.gif

But as you said, different $ for different folks. I prefer to talk the several $k a year difference and travel.

Fair enough. My performance numbers were for the regular A6 sedan, which I have, not the Allroad. Would love to have the Allroad's clearance, but I've got a small 4WD truck for when I really need that.

I actually think the insurance on my Audi is less than the insurance on Hondas in my neighborhood. Not that I'm all that concerned about being politicallly correct, but let's just say that I live in an area where VTEC Civics/Integras are coveted by the locally predominant ethnic groups. They don't stay unmolested long when parked on the street. But then, the side marker lights on Audis/BMWs go real fast too, so that kids can install them on their Civics...

One more thing: if Audis suck so bad, then why post the photo of the RS6?