Brothers conditions?

Heather

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I was just up on the south route last Friday/Saturday (May20-21). Conditions were pretty good except very little snow at the bottom. Up high the snow was wind blown and kicking steps was nearly impossible as the snow just collapsed every time you put any weight on it. But if you have good weather you will have a good time. we even had a couple of guys meet us at the climbers camp saturday morning and they did the whole thing in a day.

Yeah, I have actually climbed the traverse and the basic route and it was so many years ago that I did the basic route, I just couldn't remember if we roped up. We roped up on the traverse though. I want to take me boyfriend up The Brothers, he's only rockclimbed and done some hiking and scrambling. I was planning on not taking a rope because I thought it was easy and there was no need for one. But our housemate psyched him out with tales of how steep it is. He roped up when he climbed it. Made it sound like a big epic. But he is always a little on the dramatic side. Since I have climbed the basic route several times, albeit 4-6 years ago, I think there's nothing to it. Thanks for the input.

This time of year the traverse might require crampons...later in the year it would be a lot more enjoyable for a rock only climber, just remember to take a lot of water because it gets hot and dry up there in the summer and there is no place to get any water once your up high on that mountain