rust remover

kenp

while decending the CD route on Baker a few years ago I found an old, water-logged wooden ice ax just below high camp. It was swollen and rusty. I packed it home and pretty much forgot about it until a recent shed cleaning. The handle has shrunk back to normal size but the metal parts are pretty rusty. I used a nylon tire brush and knocked off enough rust to see a stamp on both sides of the pick. One side says 'Zurich' with a diamond shaped shield and the other other is stamped with 'made in Austria'. It is a very long ax with a long pick (no teeth) the leather wrist strap did not survive.

So here is my question, what should I use to safely remove the rust? I want to try to ID the maker and possible age of this antique tool. I will post pictures once I have it cleaned up.

thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my guess is it's from the 60's? I started climbing in the mid 70's and used a wood handled ax but this thing is a lot older than the new one I had then. it has a long, straight pick, with no teeth and a old school type spike on the end and a fairly wide adz. I will try the wd-40 idea tonight and thought about using something like a s-o-s pad. I found it in an area where there were crevases, just below the high camp, a bit off the beaten path. can't imagine it was strapped to a pack and fell off, given the slope angle and location. But where it came from or how long it layed there, I haven't a clue. I haven't found any marks to ID the ower. I'll clean it and post a picture this week