suunto watch

ivan

i've had mine for 5 years and been digging it, but lately i've noticed it's picking up condensation behind the face. no disatrous results just yet, but it seems unhealthy. anyone else had this problem? any clue how good suunto is with repairs? there's nothing obviously wrong w/ the watch and the battery comparment seems well sealed. condensation just shows up after i've been sweating hard for a full day or if i submerge it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just made $60 by taking my original (1998) Altimax back to REI w/ the same problem. They have the Altimax at Costco for $115 or so around PDX.

Also, REI used to have Suunto battery replacement kits. This kit contains a spare battery (duh) but also contains a new O-ring and cover. It's possible that swapping out these new parts could fix your issue (at least with the watch). If the watch is in good shape it may be worth checking this out.

Yup, same problem. Didn't have this until I first replaced the battery.

You got water in the case. It's unlikely you'll be able to eliminate it, and long term it'll screw your watch. You might try putting it with the battery cover removed in a container w/a dessicant for a bit, then replace the cover and see if it fixes the problem.

When you got the battery did you get the new back that goes with the battery? I was told by the rep that a new battery back had to be installed. The other thing I have done when replacing my battery is coat the O-ring with a little silcone from my diving gear bag. This will give the O-ring another seal of protection.

One thing to add: Suunto's service department is very nice. I thought that, with my original Vector, that I'd screwed up the o-ring, because it freaked out, and failed.

Sent it in, and turned out to be a cracked case (I'm pretty hard on my watches, evidently.) It was a year and a half out of its warranty, and they replaced it with a brand-new looking remanufactured unit without a cent of cost.

Seems to be their policy to send you a remanufactured unit when they receive your unit (probably makes for a quick turnaround time). I sent mine in again to get the scratched face replaced, and again, they sent me a brand new looking reman unit. Very nice!