Boycott the U.S. Military

Dr_Flash_Amazing

"This is the human condition. Only many more millenia of history and evolution will change it....maybe."

So you seem to be acknowledging that the tactics in question are essentially futile. If humans are not by nature convinced to alter their behavior when confronted by the wholesale execution of their compatriots vis a vis war, etc., why not seek out other means of conflict resolution? Just because humanity continues to pursue this course of action (and why not? Taken a gander at the size, sophistication, and level of funding of our own fighting forces? So much invested in this ineffective path!) does not make it appropriate.

"I support the death penalty because it is a fitting punishment for someone who kills/rapes a child. I suspect that, in order to remain pro-life consistent, I'll eventually have to cede that the death penalty is incorrect and, probably, unconstitutional."

Are we any better than murderers when we kill them in turn? How can we say "this is wrong" and then turn around and do it ourselves? And what about the penalty for those who kill children in war? Does the soldier whose errant bullet kills a child deserve to die? Or is some life worth less than other life?

"History sometimes says, "yes". Defeating nazi Germany wasn't a resolution to a problem? By your logi[c], the defeat of the C.S.A. didn't resolve a problem?"

As for the Nazis, perhaps; it is difficult to imagine another solution, and it is true that it brought to an end one of the ugliest incidents in human history. But along with this, how many more had to die to stop this horror?

"You truly DO live in that unattainable fantastic utopia that will likely never exist. Really, as long as humans possess the slightest hint of individuality, can it ever?"

Clearly, it is unlikely that we'll ever all get along and stop slaughtering one another. But is the unlikelihood of this occurrence reason enough not to hope for and stand for getting as close as possible? As Selkirk said earlier in this thread, "we're all human," and, as your favorite band (that'd be Anti-Flag--ha ha) added to that, "it's time to prove it." It's always going to be unattainable if people simply accept that it is unattainable. Gotta try, or you'll never send!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I support the death penalty because it is a fitting punishment for someone who kills/rapes a child. I suspect that, in order to remain pro-life consistent, I'll eventually have to cede that the death penalty is incorrect and, probably, unconstitutional.

Wow... glad to see you have convictions that you stick to!

While it is totally reasonable to change ones mind on issues as years go by - it strikes me as quite odd that you'd change your reasoning based on the fact that it gives you the appearance of being inconsistent. Doesn't really sound like your underlying beliefs are going to change - even though what you claim to believe does.

And you claim DFA lives in some fantasy world?

Personally, while I don't like to see abortions happen - I believe they shouldn't be outlawed. I also believe that capital punishment is wrong. Is that inconsistent? To some... yes. To me - not at all. Am I going to change my views because of what someone else thinks of my viewpoint? Nope.

Yes... it probably is quite unrealistic to believe that torture will disappear since it's been around as long as humans. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do something about it. We do futile things all the time - every day.

-kurt

I support the death penalty because it is a fitting punishment for someone who kills/rapes a child. I suspect that, in order to remain pro-life consistent, I'll eventually have to cede that the death penalty is incorrect and, probably, unconstitutional.

Wow... glad to see you have convictions that you stick to!

While it is totally reasonable to change ones mind on issues as years go by - it strikes me as quite odd that you'd change your reasoning based on the fact that it gives you the appearance of being inconsistent. Doesn't really sound like your underlying beliefs are going to change - even though what you claim to believe does.

And you claim DFA lives in some fantasy world?

It's called being conflicted. Are you admitting here that you don't question or reexamine your own positions or beliefs from time to time? Not only this, but you have the audacity to criticize someone who does? moon.gif

Are you admitting here that you don't question or reexamine your own positions or beliefs from time to time? Not only this, but you have the audacity to criticize someone who does? moon.gif

Just make sure your politician doesn't reconsider his position. He'll be labeled a "flip-flopper" or a "waffler"

It's called being conflicted. Are you admitting here that you don't question or reexamine your own positions or beliefs from time to time? Not only this, but you have the audacity to criticize someone who does? moon.gif

Hmm... do I think it's OK to reexamine one's positions? Read this sentence again:

While it is totally reasonable to change ones mind on issues as years go by...

Now what part of that says that I think you have to have one opinion and stick with it 'till death?

I have no problem with people changing their minds... if they are truly changing their mind and not just doing it because it "sounds" better. Sorry if I misunderstood your statement, but it sounded like you were changing your mind just because of what others may think, or because it made for a better argument... not because you truly believed in it.

Politicians... well, that's a different story. When they change their mind/vote every other week, based upon the latest poll... that's not being conflicted. That's just dumb.

-kurt