Viesturs Retires

Thinker

How'd this one get by all you Seattle folks? (or am I just blind?)

Ed Viesturs Announces Retirement web page

After Summiting Annapurna, Climber Quits Big Mountains

by OutdoorNewsWire.com

May 18th, 2005

After summiting all of the world's 14 8,000+ meter peaks last week and becoming the first American to do so, Ed Viesturs announced Monday that he will be retiring from high-altitude climbing. "I'm done with 8,000-meter peaks, but I'll climb smaller and easier peaks, I'm sure," Viesturs told Lindsay Yaw of MSN.com. "Since 1987, I have been over in the Himalaya climbing every spring, so now I'll get to know what spring looks like at my home in Seattle."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it! His mind has cleared since he has gotten back to sea level. He has realized that real climbing is clipping bolts. Maybe he'll start pinkpointing 14a+/14b- and then put up some badass sport routes AT 8000m in the future. Hopefully, that is where our sport is going.

Or maybe with the lack of oxygen his brain has endured over the years, he will start ascending fixed lines at the local sport area. Yeah, start "flashing" 5.14 without supplemental 02 with fixed lines and limited sherpa help at the local crag. Sick bivies on bolt #3;)

Speaking of sport climbing, I need to get my ass in shape and head to The New River Gorge to climb some warm rock.

That's it! His mind has cleared since he has gotten back to sea level. He has realized that real climbing is clipping bolts. Maybe he'll start pinkpointing 14a+/14b- and then put up some badass sport routes AT 8000m in the future. Hopefully, that is where our sport is going.

Or maybe with the lack of oxygen his brain has endured over the years, he will start ascending fixed lines at the local sport area. Yeah, start "flashing" 5.14 without supplemental 02 with fixed lines and limited sherpa help at the local crag. Sick bivies on bolt #3;)

Speaking of sport climbing, I need to get my ass in shape and head to The New River Gorge to climb some warm rock.

I believe he has decided to start training for the 9000m peaks.

Damn.... that sucks. It was that Italian climbers's 14th 8000m peak, just as it was for Viesturs A WEEK AGO!!! I imagine these were members of the same Italian party he was climbing with last week? Yeah, no wonder these guys quit while they're ahead. Let the search for bigfoot begin.