NF Shuksan

letsroll

Has anybody been up there lately? How do you think the approach is? I was thinking about doing it one day. How would navagation through the brush be in the dark? Then decend via white salmon glacier. Is this going to be a real bitch and should be done in two days?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it last summer, so I don't know current conditions.

Navigating (down) the White Salmon should be pretty easy. We went left low on the glacier and had to deal with a bunch of bullshit cliffs, just big enough to be dangerous. If you stay right you should be golden.

Good luck navigating the brush in the dark. We did a rising traverse back to the clearcut and it was wretched. The hillside has a number of streams down it that make for interesting climbing. Some of them have very steep rock sides.

The approach does suck, but I don't feel like the NF should be considered a hard 2-day climb as the Nelson guide calls it. When I did it we bivied below the face for a few hours and still did it under 24 hours. Word to the wise, no matter how appealing it is just to straight-line-it to the ski area, follow the way you came in.

Two days, what scandalous inflationary tactics?! boxing_smiley.gifhahaha.gif

Navigation through the brush isn't all that bad, dark or not. Drop into the valley, head directly up to the ridge the easiest way possible, and follow the ridge to the base of the face. It's not too bad. Right now I'd worry a lot more about postholing hell than the approach, but that's just me.

I'd recommend doing it in a day. And take your skis.

PriceLakeCrank.jpg