Bleeding from the ear

Long story short: encountered a particularly dense section of brush on yesterday's trail run... turned my head sideways and slightly down so I wouldn't get swatted in the eyes by a branch. In doing this I managed to perfectly plant a tree branch end (which just happened to be slightly smaller than the diameter of my ear canal) deep in my left ear canal at running speed. cry.gifcry.gifblush.gifmadgo_ron.gif The branch didn't break off in my ear but it did promptly lay me on the deck.

I’m fairly sure I didn’t rupture the ear drum as I can still pop my ear drums… however my ear has proceeded to leak noticeable amounts of blood and clear fluid on and off since then. My ear canal currently feels like I have water lodged in it.

My layman assumption would be this is normal and a part of the healing process and I have no reason to go to the doc especially since I am not in pain however... does someone know something I don't? I am risking hearing loss by not going?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long story short: encountered a particularly dense section of brush on yesterday's trail run... turned my head sideways and slightly down so I wouldn't get swatted in the eyes by a branch. In doing this I managed to perfectly plant a tree branch end (which just happened to be slightly smaller than the diameter of my ear canal) deep in my left ear canal at running speed. cry.gifcry.gifblush.gifmadgo_ron.gif The branch didn't break off in my ear but it did promptly lay me on the deck.

I’m fairly sure I didn’t rupture the ear drum as I can still pop my ear drums… however my ear has proceeded to leak noticeable amounts of blood and clear fluid on and off since then. My ear canal currently feels like I have water lodged in it.

My layman assumption would be this is normal and a part of the healing process and I have no reason to go to the doc especially since I am not in pain however... does someone know something I don't? I am risking hearing loss by not going?

SEE A FUCKING DOCTOR, DUMBSHIT. wazzup.gif

"everything that you could never say

would never matter anyway

I took a hammer and two nails

to my eardrums long ago"

- Alkaline Trio, "Mr. Chainsaw"

rockband.gif

nolse,

I seriously doubt you injured your eardrum.

you probably irritated the gland in your ear that produces cebum (earwax). earwak starts out as a pretty slippery clear fluid, and only turns yellow/orange after quite some time. i would carefully monitor your ear for any change for the worse or if the condition does not change. the thing i would worry about is infection, called otitis media. one of the cardinal signs of this is pain when you pull up and out on your external ear. if this smarts, go seek help. otherwise, it'll clear up and see a doctor if you think your hearing is altered or an infection takes hold. if you have time and money, then see a doctor now. otherwise, odds are it's only a flesh wound.

Did something similar in Alaska while walking my dog on a slippery hill. Slipped and headed into some smallish willow. It was cold out so the ears were fairly numb. I felt a tug and some mild discomfort. Did not put hand up to ear immediately because the dog(a 88 pound Rott had seen a rabbit and was tugging on her lead). Anyway felt something running on neck so I put hand there and pulled it back to see it covered with blood. Then I moved the hand to the ear area and found an object (stick) stuck in my right ear lobe (I have radar screens for ears...almost like a White Alice Station Site). I pulled on the stick and it broke off, so I hurried home to see how much was still stuck in the lobe. Once I saw it in the bathroom mirror I freaked out and made my son pull the remainder of the stick out while I held the lobe. F***ing hurt like a bitch. Going to school the next day and explaining to my wrestlers why coach had a large hole in his ear was interesting.

MOM to the rescue.

we spent some time at urgent care last summer because thing 2 stuck a toy in thing 1's ear. go to the doc and make sure you didn't rupture the drum. likely it is disloged slightly and you will heal. and quit popping it while it is trying to reatach goof ball wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...