Edge of Pan: Squamish

peas

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a failure on the Pan, did it in '94 with Doug Klewin. I remember pitch 2 being long, and rather convoluted, with tension and lots of traverses. Pitch 3 was non-memorable. The long aid pitch #4 was really cool, lots of good nailing. Doug fell on the last pitch, #5. After that I don't remember the little sixth pitch as shown in McLane's book.

After a failure on the Pan, did it in '94 with Doug Klewin. I remember pitch 2 being long, and rather convoluted, with tension and lots of traverses. Pitch 3 was non-memorable. The long aid pitch #4 was really cool, lots of good nailing. Doug fell on the last pitch, #5. After that I don't remember the little sixth pitch as shown in McLane's book.

Any comments on useful gear to bring?

• 5 years later...

I know I am resurrecting an ancient thread here, but I would like to just say that part of this route is now a free climbing project, and all the moves have gone and I would like to ask people not to use hammers and pins if aiding this climb.

The project goes from the start of Lower Pan Tease final pitch and climbs the face out right to the belay below the huge corner (pitch 4 of Edge of Pan) The Huge corner is a VERY good free climbing pitch and with modern gear is easily aidable without pins. Above this the climb joins Upper Pan Tease....

Repeated nailing in this crack would leave scars that would make the climb much easier as there would be fingerlocks rather than palming/stemming the whole way...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...