PI Article About John Roper

catbirdseat

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The information provided so far is grossly insufficient to allow cc.comers to judge Roper's skills. We do know that on the described ascent he did not use supplemental oxygen, but there is no mention at all of axe or crampons. Also, what about his choice of route? Has he gone for the most demanding direct line to the summit, or taken the cowardly easy way? Is a spring ascent of Beacon Hill easier than one in winter, or do the golfers present a higher seasonal objective danger? Discuss.

Roper's version.

The Seattle P-I article is a good read too. Lots of good climbing inside jokes and plays on jokes.

I got a chuckle out of the part in the first picture's caption "has reached nearly 2,500 summits in Washington, including every volcanic peak"

Oooooo, every volcanic peak! Simply astonishing!

--volcano bigot

How many have I conquered? Well...

You know that volcano that got decapitated down in the south part of the Cascades? I did that. And I was only 8 at the time. Just like Jimi Hendrix, I chopped it down with the edge of my hand.

Roper knows all. And if he doesn't know it, Harry does. And if Harry doesn't know it, Jim Nelson does. tongue.gif

Roper and I both got a laugh out of our respective possibilities (he in the 60s and me in the early 90s) of having unintentionally done that Beacon Hill highpoint when he and I shanked our tee shots and then had to play off that treeside tuft. If you're standing on it during address, it counts as a HP made.

450climberxx_697_mapletree.jpg