Panface (mt. Baker ice)

max

Hello. Just got back from a pleasant session on Panface. Monday it was pretty full and today, well it was thinnish. Lots of water running behind the ice and many sections had fallen off. The ice that was there was half styrofoam, half junky water ice. Some people led it from the far right half-way up, but there's no way I would have led it. We TR'ed (as usual!) and it was great fun. In my estimation, it won't be there much longer. I haven't looked at the weather report, but if it continues to be like it was today, it will be gone tomorrow.

FYI: If you're calling the Mt. Baker ski area weather report or checking their web page, don't put toom uch faith in it. They give a morning weatyher report from 5:30 am. Today it claimed 23 degrees... water was running heavy at 9:00 in the shade. Several times before I've noticed... "optimistic" reports. I can't prove anything (I wasn't there at 5:30...) but I don't bother calling anymore.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbed Pandome falls today(sunday the 7th). It was still there and some new Ice had formed. I led up right center. Max is correct in the fact that if it doesn't get cold soon it could very well fall off. Take shorty screws!!

Dale

[This message has been edited by daler (edited 01-07-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try the heliotrope ridge ice despite what sounded like a difficult undertaking. I found that you cold drive all the way to the trailhead. They are plowing the road for snowmobilers. The ice was good on the right side but the left was wet. You can top rope this climb. The trail is completely snow free so don't worry about postholing and the trail only takes about a hour. 01/13/01