MSR MIOX water purifier

badvoodoo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After digging through the 5 pages of spray, I gathered that one person tried it and it tasted better than tablets.

Par for the cc.com course. Buy it from REI. Try it. Post here if you like it/dislike it. If you don't, return it.

I really like them. They are pretty fast, and way lighter than pump filters. The taste is kinda swimming pool like, but definitely still drinkable (this might be besause I sometimes use too many clicks rather than bring along and use the test strips). Anyhow, I got mine free and like it a lot. If I had to pay for it, I may be more reluctant if I already had a filter. If I didn't have a filter, I'd think it was a very good alternative for the mountains and places where the water is visually enticing, but possibly unhealthy. I probably wouldn't rely on one solely in a heavily polluted third world country or something becuase you arent removing matter, just sterilizing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, if anyone ever wants to borrow one let me know. I am one of the MSR reps here in the northwest. I have a couple I can loan out.

The whole system is pretty smooth and easy to use. I does take up to 4 hours if crypto is an issue. In all other cases 30 minutes is all you need. Best uses are for large groups or someone that is good at monitoring their water use.

Drop me an email if anyone wants to borrow one. I will need some type of deposit just so it doesn't walk off.

Patrick - jopcook at yahoo dot com

I've been using one for a year or so now. If the water is free-flowing I think it's a great choice, but if the water is not free-flowing, I prefer a filter to remove all of the chunks.

I'm picky about water flavor and can't taste the MIOX stuff at all, unlike tablets, which make the water taste icky IMO.

Technically the EPA standard stand time is four hours, but some people might say one could pretty safely take their chances after, say, a half hour. Pretty cool gadget if you can afford it. thumbs_up.gif

Katadyn Micropur tabs contain the same active ingredient that the Miox produces (i.e. chlorine dioxide.) They're a lot smaller and lighter and don't require batteries. Cost is about $0.50 per quart, but if you're a backcountry ranger or somebody who spends a lot of time drinking stream water, the Miox is probably cheaper in the long run.