Numb Toe

My wife and I climbed Mt. Hood three weeks ago and her feet got pretty cold. Most of her toes were numb for a few hours and the feeling in one of her big toes has still not come back. I have had the tips of my fingers numb for a couple of days after getting them really cold, but never for three weeks. Anyone have similar persistent numbness? Did it eventually get better or is it permanent?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She might have compressed the nerves that run across the top of the foot. Happened to me about 5 years ago climbing Mt. Shasta in crappy rental mountaineering boots. My toes were numb for about 3 months, but it came back. I saw a podiatrist (he was also a climber) and he said that women have this problem if they have high arches because a lot of boots don't have enough arch support and compress the foot downward, pressing on the top of the foot. I invested in a good fitting pair of boots and orthotics, and I don't have that problem when on glacier climbs anymore.

My toes still sometimes gives me trouble though when I rock climb too much in super tight shoes, especially longer multipitch days. I get numb toes and then shooting pains in them for a few days as they return to normal. Climbing is tough on the feet IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with chelle. I had the same thing happen to me (numb toe after Rainier) and thought it was frostbite, but it is overuse and nerve issues. So she might want to see a doc. Since I am Earth's #1 procrastinator, it took me only 10 months to make an appointment for the orthotics (next week), but I have been told it will solve that. Men can have high arches / pronation too wink.gif

drC

Since I am Earth's #1 procrastinator, it took me only 10 months to make an appointment for the orthotics (next week), but I have been told it will solve that.

Or not. I have nerve issues in my feet that several pairs of orthotics have not provided relief.

Sounds similar to what happened to me - my toe was numb for a few months last year after a cold day in wet socks. The feeling did return but just 2 weeks ago my boots got wet early in the day and sure enough, the same toe is numb again. So don't be too surprised if it ends up being a recurring problem.