Bush to Blair: We Fixed Intelligence

Lionel_Hutz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much on the mainstream press about any of this. Just filled up with the evacuation of the capiol yesterday and endless graphics of how F15s are scrambled.

The complacent public is getting the government they deserve. But it will come back to bite us big time.

Not much on the mainstream press about any of this. Just filled up with the evacuation of the capiol yesterday and endless graphics of how F15s are scrambled.

The complacent public is getting the government they deserve. But it will come back to bite us big time.

Jim

I was there yesterday, and the plane thing had everything screwed up. You wouldn't beleive what a police state DC has become from when we worked there 20 years ago. 'Member those lunch time walks around Capitol Hill? We wouldn't be doing that anymore. hellno3d.gif

I can imagine. I haven't been back since I left. No bs-ing while sitting on the Capitol steps while munching a sandwich anymore. Bummer that some really striking archticture (such as the rotunda) are not available to the public anymore. Traffic must be interesting with all the jersey barriers up.

There are more Capitol Police, DC Police, NPS police, FBI, SS and Washington Port Authority police than you can believe. During a walk around the Capitol you'll encounter a couple of dozen on foot patrol or on sniper duty. The rest are all driving around with lights flashing and sirens blaring, like they are late for the latest batch at Krispy Kreme. cheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

well, it just didn't compare to these really important stories:

MORE TOP STORIES

• Base closings could save billions

• U.N.: Iraq drug trafficking rising

• Abu Ghraib colonel reprimanded

• American climbs 14 tallest peaks

MICHAEL JACKSON TRIAL

• Bashir admired star's way with kids

• NBC: Culkin could save Jackson

You wouldn't beleive what a police state DC has become from when we worked there 20 years ago.

90% of that has been in the past 4 years. The sad part is security is being used as a cover to restrict public access to legislators and the legislative process.

I can imagine. I haven't been back since I left. No bs-ing while sitting on the Capitol steps while munching a sandwich anymore. Bummer that some really striking archticture (such as the rotunda) are not available to the public anymore. Traffic must be interesting with all the jersey barriers up.

Rotunda's still open. Schedule a tour through a member of Congress's office or show up and wait in line to go with the Capitol tour guides. Really, the barriers can be a pain in the ass and the police are generally stupid - especially when they stop a truck in the middle of the street and make it turn around (so as not to go by the Capitol or Congressional office buildings - though the truck has probably already driven right by half of them) or run some kind of weird road block where they just end up slowing the traffic down and not inspecting anything. However, I don't think its really that bad. You can wander into any Congressional office building, sit on the Supreme Court steps and walk right up to the Capitol.

They were flying F-16s and not F-15s too. DC National Guard from Andrews AFB. tongue.gif

Last Saturday, Bush told us while visiting Riga, Latvia last week that:

"We will not repeat the mistakes of other generations — appeasing or excusing tyranny, and sacrificing freedom in the vain pursuit of stability."

He must have just skipped over the "Except Uzbekistan and Pakistan" part.

Rotunda's still open. Schedule a tour through a member of Congress's office or show up and wait in line to go with the Capitol tour guides. Really, the barriers can be a pain in the ass and the police are generally stupid - especially when they stop a truck in the middle of the street and make it turn around (so as not to go by the Capitol or Congressional office buildings - though the truck has probably already driven right by half of them) or run some kind of weird road block where they just end up slowing the traffic down and not inspecting anything. However, I don't think its really that bad. You can wander into any Congressional office building, sit on the Supreme Court steps and walk right up to the Capitol

They plan to eliminate much of that when the new visitor center opens. You remember the plan whereby you would have to have a pass to walk the halls of congress?

The media has been cowed. Noone wants to be the next CBS or Newsweek.

Also, I think this isn't getting a lot of traction because it isn't really news. Everyone knows that the Bushies cooked intelligence. Everybody knew back then!

The war supporters knew all the WMD stuff was BS, but they thought we needed to conquer Iraq anyway for whatever reason. They thought it would be easy and make us powerful. Now that it's blowing up in our face, they rightly feel some responsibility, and would just would rather not keeping hearing "I told you so".

So anyway, in summary, NOT really big news, noone really wants to hear it again, and serious repercussions from those in power if this is reported with any vigor.

The Bushies are really consolidating the power of the executive branch. They're trying to hamstring the courts. They're trying to take away power from the Senate. They're viciously going after the fourth estate. Getting closer to autocracy every day!