WTB: sea kayak...

icegirl

Got a kayak taking up space? If yer not askin' too much (or want to loan it to me for a summer) let me know... Trying to make sure I really like it before I cough up the $$$ for one (since my climbing, diving, cycling and photography hobbies suck up enough already)

Thanks!

Laura

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you're looking for the deal here, but I've been looking for sometime, and the best place to buy a sea kayak I've seen yet is Craigslist. They're mostly going in $900-1200 range for $1500-and up boats, but I've seen a few go in the $500 range. Sea kayaking/touring is a diversion I've been looking into as well.

Thanks for the tip smile.gif So you have not gotten one yet?

Not yet. Actually, as mentioned above you can make your own. Pgymy, a Port Townsend company sells kits that a friend of mine used to build his. But I'm looking for something a little more durable than a wood boat. I'll probably end up with a plastic boat, but fiberglass is lighter, so I'm not sure yet.

But I'm looking for something a little more durable than a wood boat. I'll probably end up with a plastic boat, but fiberglass is lighter, so I'm not sure yet.

"wood boat" is really a misnomer. Most "wood" kayaks are fiberglass kayaks with a wood core, and are pretty durable. About as much as a glass kayak would be. If you really want durable go with plastic.

I built a Chesapeake 17 (as pictured above), from plans (they also sell kits), cost me about $1100, including outfitting. Lots of fun, but you don't save money.

Icegirl you may want to check out the sit on top sea kayaks as well. I have tried both and liked the sit on top better. Recently picked up the new x-factor from this company and spared myself the WA state tax!

http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayaks.asp

I got it as I wanted to get my 5 year old into fishing and if you are into that you can trick them out with sonar,gps,rod holders,bait tanks ets...If you are into camping they have tons of storage etc... Amazingly stable, as I let a friend demo it and he tried to tip it over. At 210# he had it out of the water and on its side and still wouldn't flip. HA he just bought 2, one for him and one for his girlfriend! Good luck to ya whatever your choice. bigdrink.gif