Heading to Croatia

I will be travelling in Croatia for about a month this June has anyone been there? Can anyone give me any advice about guide books they have used? Any info regarding Croatia regardless of climbing would be appreciated but am very interested any info regarding climbing in Eastern Europe. Thanks for any help.

Mike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went there for about a week total in '93 during the civil war but I was mostly passing through to more fucked up areas in the region. The biggest surprise was how helpful and current the Lonely Planet guide was considering the instability at the time. I'd imagine it's only better now.I'd pick up a good road map too before you leave any good general map store will have them. Barnes and noble might have the red ones still. They worked well enough. I can't help you with climbing. The drive down the coast from Rijeka to Dubrovnik is cool though. It's been a long time but I would keep any off trail bushwacking near the borders to a minimum since they were heavily mined during the war. doubt they got them all, even now. Being an american seemed largely helpful. allot of people seemed to speak some english but a little serbo-croat helped allot. People were either really cool or grade A assholes. It's probably mellowed abit though.

srecno!

Thanks for the advice. I picked up a map already and am aware of the possible land mine concerns. I have to ask how did you end up there during the Civil War? Must have been a crazy experience. Thanks again for the info.

Mike

when I was ten, me and my family took an overnight boat from Rjeka to Dubrovnik, which was way cool. Remember playing D&D with my bro while trying not to get distracted by all amazing scenery.

Dubrovnik was fun, too. Great seafood, great people, great city all around. I hear it's changed a lot since the war tho. frown.gif Spent a few days there, including some fun swims and exploring on the rocky beaches, including, if I recall, some cool little caves. thumbs_up.gif

have fun.

I have to ask how did you end up there during the Civil War? Mike

I went over there as a freelance photojournalist for a couple weeks fresh out of college. I wanted to get a feel for seeing if war photography was something I was interested in or not. Not. I left with little sympathy for any side....all too stupid to see through the propaganda and who brought that shit on themselves.

Anyway, have a great time... and I'm sure it will be a cool trip now. I've often thought about returning to do a little fly fishing in Bosnia's beautiful little streams. thumbs_up.gif

I had a great time in Croatia. Check out the beaches--they are very cool--where else in the world can you buy a beer and a donut on the beach as you stare at euro babes? If you have the opportunity, take a boat to Brac. You'll be glad you did.

We stayed in Makarska for a few weeks. Did the drive to Dubrovnik. Any damage Dubrovnik suffered during the war has been repaired. Its a fantastic place and I highly recommend you check it out. If you do the drive along the coast you will have to pass through Bosnia briefly. Be ready for the stink-eye from the border guards.

I was there in August and it was way too hot to climb. The entire coastline is abutted with a huge limestone wall that I learned has been developed to a small extent. I plan to return at some point.

Have fun!

I will be taking a Ferry over from Italy to Dubrovnik and then plan on driving the coast up from there then over to Hungery. How were the roads along the coast? Did you have any trouble. Will be camping as much as possible. Thanks again for the links and all the great beta.

Mike Klotz