Headlamps, What do you like and why?

wdietsch

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using a Princeton Tec Aurora for most stuff, and a PT Tec40 (handheld, 4 AA's, halogen bulb) for when I need to reach out a bit farther. If you can wait two months, check out the Princeton Tec Apex. It's nearly the same combination of light, and similar to the current Yukon HL in that it has 5mm LEDs for close-up work, and it's got a high-power Luxeon LED for the main beam. There are 2 seperate power level adjustment buttons, one that controls the main beam and one that controls the 5mm LEDs, each button having 3 levels of brightness. It's a big step up from the Yukon HL (And pretty much everything else that 's out right now, short of a Silva) in that it has 4 5mm LEDs, instead of the Yukon HL's 3. The main beam is also better is it's a 3 watt Luxeon LED instead of a 1 watt Luxeon LED used in the Yukon HL. Form factor will be similar as well, with a 4 AA battery pack in the rear of the headband. This gives you a blazing hot main beam when you need to see cliffs before you walk over them, and with the flip of a swith, you can read a map without blinding yourself. If you're partial to Pretzels, the Myo XP (out now) is similar, but falls short in several areas (lack of power regulation circuitry, poor overall beam strength, etc.) If you're only hiking on trails, then you probably don't need that much light and could get by just fine with something like the Princeton Tec EOS or the ubiquitous Tikka/Aurora style. The Tikka/Aurora are better for reading at night, since they have no rear-mounted battery pack, so it all comes down to how you plan to use it. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

I've got a Myo 5 and a Black Diamond Moonlight. The Moonlight is great for around camp and alpine starts in easy terrain but doesn't project enough light for more difficult terrain; I had it on Rainier and had difficulties seeing where to go (it was my first time up too, likely a factor). That's why I got the Myo 5. If I were to buy another Myo I would likely get the one with the small remote battery pack, for cold.

drC

I was climbing with a partner who had the Myo 5. I could see better with his light shining from 50 feet behind me than I could with my old headlamp. I bought one as soon as I got home. The main light is so bright. I love it.

'Just got a Myo 3 'cause the past few times I had to actually find my way around in the dark, I realized that my Princeton Tech Aurora wasn't up to the task. I'll upgrade to the Lithium AA's 'cause they are both lighter and work better in the cold. The choice of LED for battery life or halogen for brightness is worth the extra weight in many cases. I'll keep the itty bitty Princeton for when I think it will be enuf.

Petzl Zipka Plus.

I have beefier ones, never use them anymore.

Selected Zipka Plus and Tikka Climbs:

Rainier

Shasta

Whitehorse

Eldorado

Ruth

North Twin Sister

Shuksan

Baker

Sahale

Plus a couple dozen more and lots of cragging.

I don't carry spare batteries. I would if I was gone more than a week. I find I don't use the headlamps much, even at night. Most of the above mentioned is pretty easy ground and only involves a few hours of moving in the dark. If I was exclusively climbing in the dark alot, I would bring my Black Diamond LED (I hate the straps on that thing!)

I am very impressed with my BD Zenix IQ. It throws a powerful light, takes only two AA batteries, has a reasonable battery life, and is light and compact. Particularly useful is the voltage regulator, which maintains the light at univorm brightness, then blinks intermittently when the batter is very low on juice, and then again when it is on the verge of blacking out. cool.gif

I tried the Zipka a couple years ago, but found that it wasn't as comfortable as the Tikka, and sometimes gets caught in people's hair. Not a problem for me anymore since I cut off the fro after Knight Rider went into reruns.

The new Tikka Plus is much better than the Tikka:

More solid on/off switch

Easier to turn on and off with gloves on

3 brightness levels plus flasher

Both of them weigh next to nothing

They both use AAA batteries, which are cheap

I haven't tried out any of the others in the field except the Black Diamond little bitty one that looks like snake eyes (my daughter's light). Actually weighs nothing, but not very bright and takes an expensive battery.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth...

tikka, tikka plus, and myo 5. call me a petzl fan. But I like these headlamps. The one time I didn't bring a spare battery for my tikka, it withered away and I was stuck descending steep woods with the equivelant of a match. a couple AAA don't weight that much.

• 3 months later...
I am very impressed with my BD Zenix IQ. It throws a powerful light, takes only two AA batteries, has a reasonable battery life, and is light and compact. Particularly useful is the voltage regulator, which maintains the light at univorm brightness, then blinks intermittently when the batter is very low on juice, and then again when it is on the verge of blacking out. cool.gif

I just bought one of these and have to say it is the best headlamp I have ever used. Even on it's lowest setting it's enough light to light a trail in the dead of night. And the highest setting is amazingly bright. Awesome! bigdrink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Thanks for all the feedback ... much appreciated ... after playing with several makes/models the XP's are on the top of the list.

If you can wait two months, check out the Princeton Tec Apex

anyone seen one of these yet ??? I've been looking but haven't found one yet in a store to check out

I just bought the new Petzel Tikka XP. Far better than my old Tikka plus. You just gotta try it to belive it.

I tried out a Tikka XP this weekend, and while it is a neat design, I decided that for around camp and in the tent, it wasn't really much better than my old Tikka. At mid distances it's defintely better than the Tikka, but I figure for an extra $7 I might as well get a BD Vectra for when I really want to see what's up ahead.

Does anyone else have problems with the flat light produced by LEDs mounted on your head? I love my little BD ion but I've found I can follow a rocky route better by holding it in my hand so it casts more shadows around me. I just can't get as much depth from those small single color LEDs. Are the high power LEDs any better in this respect, or just brighter?

Still have an old school Petzl Artic with the remote batt. pack (uses lithium AAs) for really good routefinding (alpine starts getting across the Coleman Glacier, for instance)

Tikka Plus for basic slogs, or later starts.

My g/f bought a Zenix IQ that I love. I've kinda hoarded it for myself, since she hasn't been climbing much this year. For the weight of it, it throws a helluva beam; the only problem I have is that, while it throws light far, it doesn't provide good "washout" in front of you, that helps you see your footing at the same time. If I'm on technical ground, I can't just glance down with my eyes, I have to physically point the light down at my feet to see what I'm standing on. Minor point, though.