Missing Data/Posts from 5/9/05

gapertimmy

Greetings All-

Our webhosting provider, and more specifically the MySql database that houses all the spray took a dive yesterday evening (5-9-05). Due to the outage, our provider used a backup tape to restore data, albeit old data.

Because of this, many posts, pm's, and threads from yesterday have been sucked into the great oblivion of the internet abyss. I apologize for this, but the situation was pretty much out of the control of the admins/mods of this board.

We will likely be questioning our host as to why they only take 1 backup every 24 hours, and hopefully this will never happen again (in the 4+ years of cc.com it hasn't happend before).

-timmy

note from our hosting provider:

Just an update on the status of the 'gibson' database server: It is now

back up and operational, albeit with (roughly 24 hour old) data restored

from a back-up. Unfortunately, newer data was not able to be retrieved.

On a more positive note, we have switched out much of the server's

hardware - it now has new drives, CPU, memory, RAID card, etc. This should

go a long way in preventing similar failures in the future.

We're extremely sorry for any trouble this outage may have caused you - We

will be reviewing what went wrong with the database server in order to

help ensure that it does not happen again, but in the meantime please let

us know if you have any questions or concerns.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the heads-up, but boy, they don't sound too sorry for their fuck-up.

Oh, here is your day old data, everything else is lost. Plus we upgraded everything so this shouldn't happen again, we really should have done it earlier, but too bad for you.

yeah it is pretty fucked up imho. they could at least throw down some $ for the data loss. i imagine after a bit of bellyaching they might toss in a month of hosting fees.

the empty gut feeling that comes with losing others data is the worst possible feeeling a computer d00d can ever get.

thats realy weird. it must have been late last night cus when i shut down arround 11 everything was fine. it was a good time in spray last night. but then the experience is alwasy better than the recording of it. too bad for those who missed it.

tim- are you guys looking for a new host??? would you consider it?

In the spirit of diplomacy, I suggest you send glassgowkiss to the host to explain the importance of the missing material. pitty.gif

fan-tastic idea. perhaps he can just be the wordsmith on the angry email to the provider. or better yet, we should write a glassgowkisspolishbob-izilator, much like the snoop dogg shizilator that will translate any plain text communication into glassgowkiss-speak.

Is there any need to support this site financially outside of the sponsoring companies? I see that there is supposed to be a link on the front page for donating, but there is no link there (i.e. click here). I assume this is just one more thing that yall need to fix when you find the time to...but let me know if it would help if I pitched in a few dollars in before hand. Especially if I get one of those super secret CC.com stickers that get you out of speeding tickets with the WSP. snugtop.gif

• 4 months later...

Is it just me and my computer (doubt it cuz it's happening at work and at home) or are all the Gallery plabnails missing? wazzup.gif

Most of the actual photos to these thumbnails that I've checked still have the largest resolution images available. Some have the lower resolution ones too.