rapid boil stove

layton

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are talking about the jetboil stoves, i've heard that the electric ignitions are suspect wit temps/altitude, so you shoudl bring a lighter anyway. The container is small, pretty limited to one-person meals. If you are doing a lot of solo stuff where you want to cook, it works well, but something like a pocket rocket and a 1liter titanium pot would be more versatile and as light or lighter.

The coolest thing about the Jetboil is the fact that the pot attatches to the burner allowing you to lean it up against rocks, or just hold it, to keep it from spilling. It seems to do a good job making water, but 1 liter is a little limiting.

The ignition has worked just fine for me as long as the fuel has been warm enough. Ive used it on Rainier a couple of times and a little warm water on the fuel would get it going. I would still bring a lighter but more likely you will be using it to "prime" the fuel.

Couple things about the Jetboil

- The coffee press has presented problems when people have chosen to "press" when the water is still boiling. Not suprisingly, this can lead to a "massive boil-over" and likely burns. In other words, don't push the plunger down when the water is boiling. I believe Jetboil is working on printing instructions in bright orange on the press for future purchasers.

- When storing a cansiter with the burner in the cup, put the burner on top of the canister. If you put the canister on top of the burner, it can push the "hook" of the Piezo down onto the burner, causing problems with ignition.

- Troubleski's suggestion of water on the canister is a good one. MSR has also suggested creating a "bath" of water around canisters to help the fuel burn more efficiently at colder temps.

MSR has also suggested creating a "bath" of water around canisters to help the fuel burn more efficiently at colder temps.

yeah... the cup that protects the bottom of the pot seems to work pretty well for this, although you can make your own out of a pop bottle if you intend to drink out of the cup.

Yo mike,

I have been using one a fair bit and they are great. Super easy to rig as hanging stove with a large hose clamp. With one gigapower canister I was able to get water for drinking, hot water for instant food and a little hot water for tea for 4 people for 2 days. way cool.

cheers,

Dale