[TR] Christian Brothers traverse- 5/7/2005

skyclimb

Climb: Christian Brothers traverse-

Date of Climb: 5/7/2005

Trip Report:

My friend Jason and I began the traverse at the newly bolted ridge(5.7) from asterik pass doing what felt to us a more pure line, and the only safe pitch on the route.

Our first attempt on the route was thwarted three weeks ago, when three pitches into the traverse a freak snowstorm hit. Reversing the ridge was interesting, especially the jump across on pitch 2.

Yesterday, after the smith rock clean-up, we went back to the christian brothers to do a little more clean-up, up high.

We summitted the priest, rappelled, did the squeeze chimney between the twin spires that form the monk, rappelled, chimneyed to the top the pope, rapped and then summitted the friar.

It was a fun traverse, with cool moves. I will never forget the 2nd pitch jump across!

It was a great clean-up, and really fun to see some CC'ers, like muffy, badvoodoo, erik, whirlwind, camilo, mtnhigh and many others all giving back to a place that gives us soo much!

3539s_traverse_001-med.jpg

3539s_traverse_004-med.jpg

3539The_Priest_and_lower_gorge_0541-med.jpg

3539The_Priest_and_lower_gorge_043-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

Gear to 3"

Don't take anything but a 3.5" and a .75, everything else is useless

Approach Notes:

Bypass the first pitch in Watt's guide, and take the 5.7 arete from asterik pass

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note to future Christian Brother traversers:

Perhaps do the traverse on a weekday so you send the nearly constant hail of rocks down on a nearly empty climbing area instead of on dozens of climbers below you. thumbs_down.gif

This may also prevent women from describing you as "my stupid-ass boyfriend" when rocks whiz past their heads.

Thanks.

Yeah, sorry i missed the party in the west face cave there Ty, that bling bling around your neck looks pretty hardcore.

As for the route and rockfall, i am the stupid ass boyfriend, luckily the rockfall was all pea sized(kitty litter) from what i hear.

Anyways, if you go do the traverse, it may be wise to take a bolt kit to replace anchors, and certainly take new webbing to replace the rap tat.

Great seeing everyone and partying harddy bigdrink.gif

It seems to me that lately when a TR is posted, someone or many people have to shoot it down. Thanks for the negative attitudes that are ruining this site and the purpose it serves.

Thanks also to my friends, and fellow CC'ers who are positive and happy for people persuing their own dreams without distroying others dreams. You are the reason I hesitantly still post TR's.

wave.gif

Anyone notice a lack of TR's lately???

yeah people spray one another for no reason at all... jokes are fun, but it gets to a point on these message boards when somepeople really need to shut up. i have not noticed a lack of hood trs... but anything else yes. in the past few months hasnt anyone else climbed something in oregon (besides mt hood) like barad dur? the turkey monster? steins pillar? eastern oregon granite? anything anything at alll? it seems like adventure is dying in oregon frown.gif laytons recent tr of ryme dog was refreshing, but come on people get on some more choss!!!!

Well he was joking with my girlfriend and friends about it two days ago at the base of new testament...

But that is neither here, nor there, was is being discussed in my TR now, is how this site and TR is being infiltrated by dusche bags. Care to comment cobra commander or mike G?

wazzup.gif

douche.... well i had to make a stick clip out of a stick and some tape and shoe laces but i freaked out before i could even clip that first bolt, i gotta go back and try again mabey ill bring my 100ft stick clip so i can stick up a tr with out needing a bad ass pimpen rope gun like you mike HCL.gifHCL.gifHCL.gif but seriously isnt that what those people get for standing undernead another climb!?!?! the_finger.gif

Care to comment cobra commander or mike G?

Sure here's a comment. I don't think anyone is arguing about your work on the climb itself, it is a good piece of work.

Does someone posting a concern make it spray because

you don't agree with what was said? It seemed like a legitimate statement.

Is the route clean enough that you were not exposing a lot of people to risk?

Whether reasonable or unreasonable, there are many who don't wear helmets at the base of sporto crags.

In general, I would guess they are oblivious to the potential for someone

to be traversing a loose, obscure route hundreds of feet above the weekend crowds.

I would wager last weekend was probably one of the most popular, on average, to be there.

Just food for thought.