Soft Shells

I think softshells are really cool, but given the weight and water repellency of them, I tend to wear mine in town

yellaf.gif i'm certain the same argument is used by soccer moms to explain why their H2 never goes on a dirt road.

rolleyes.gif Well, I bought them for actual outdoor use, but have not been too impressed with the performance of them, so I guess I'm not seeing the H2/soccer mom parallel. Sorry, Drew, what shall I do with my two underperforming softshells instead, burn them in effigy?

I forgot about SS pants for skiing, I agree that they are great in the snow as long as you are not sliding on the actual surface of the pants. thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soft shell pants simply kick ass for everything!! Well except Smith in the Summer.

Also, have you seen some of the newer hybrid softshells? Waterproof/breathable for the hood and shoulders and outer arms, soft shell material through the chest and back. (Acteryx Javelin, REI Taku ) Do a pretty good job balancing things. and i've had mine out in the rain a bunch. Not quite enough for a downpour, but if it's a downpour I'm hiking out anyway... Don't really take my hardshell anymore unless it's an extended trip somewhere.

I sweat a lot and have struggled with this for a long time. I recently got a Patigonia ReadyMix and have been pleasently supprised.

The one overwhelming advantage of a hood is that you don't have to keep taking your helmet off to vent your head. I try to do with as light a hat under the helmet as I can so that I can take the hood off and let off some steam.

My question is what you need a hood for since soft shells really don't keep you dry? They just dry fast and breathe better. In my experience they only work well in snow, and then for a "hood" I use a hat.

Keep off the howling wind when you're belaying alpine ice. I would not buy a softshell without a hood if planning on using in winter. For summer alpine rock or resort skiing or summer skiing maybe hoodless is fine.