Soft Shells

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good deal if it were a true softshell. Unless I'm mistaken that jacket is made with a laminate and will therefore be waterproof but no more breathable (and probably less so) than most hardshells. If you need a softshell, make sure it is one by blowing through it and making sure you can feel some air on the other side. If you can't, your just buying a heavy, soft feeling hardshell.

the apex bionic has a weatherbloc laminant in it making it 100%wind proof but not fully water proof. not good for aerobic activities its more of a jacket for around town looking like you're into the outdoors. but also made by tnf is the apex magic jacket which is made with apex universal rather than the weatherbloc. it is about 80% wind proof and extremely water resistant. not as warm as the bionic but an excellent soft shell non the less. it has completely welded seams and has more of a performance fit rather than the standard fit of the bionic. hope that helps!

Check out Mammut's soft shell collection. They are pricey but generally top of the line without the silly bells and whistles that come on some pieces. I have a Laser Jacket (hooded) which is excellent. Their New Age Jacket does not have a hood, and it is also an excellent choice. Both are Schoeller fabric, the former WB 400, the latter dryskin-extreme. If you are looking for softshell pants, my favorite is their Courmayeur pant. Their Champ pant is also great. Both are schoeller fabrics.

Cloudveil and Mammut both make top of the line clothes at about the same price; they heavily use Schoeller fabrics (all my soft shells are of the Dryskin variety except my Marmot one which has been recycled to in town clothing as it is always either too hot or not windproof enough). They differ in details (some of the Cloudveil tops have a nicer fit, Mammut have better functional details in some garments, like thumb loops and reinforced knees; my Cloudveil Switchback pants are not reinforced). Check these out. FF carries both, 2nd Ascent has the Mammut ones (though thanks to a mis-shipment they only have very big pants sizes right now!).

In my book, anything with laminate is not a true softshellm but opinions varies. If you're interested to try a fancy multi fabrics garment, Marmot has one which uses different fabrics for different panels: windproof laminate in front, something heavier for the shoulders to guard against rain, something very breathable for the back (usually protected under a pack), etc... This might work for you.

Patagonia has some cool winter softshell pants, the Super Guide I think, with nice features like integrated gaiters and real crampon patch. Haven't tried them outside the store though.

drC

• 1 month later...

I passed on the TNF and I wanted to go with Mammut but there are no dealers in town. I am looking at the Arcteryx gamma sv. Anyone have any beta on this and what do you use for a hood? I've only seen a couple soft shells with a hood so far and they don't seem very popular. How do you keep your head dry... and yes I'm made of sugar.

My question is what you need a hood for since soft shells really don't keep you dry? They just dry fast and breathe better. In my experience they only work well in snow, and then for a "hood" I use a hat.

Skiing and ice climbing below zero, no hat is gonna keep the shit outta yer face or down yer neck, and keep warmth in, &c., &c., &c. Manufacturers who DO NOT make hooded sofshells are missing the ONLY real application for them evils3d.gif

I think softshells are really cool, but given the weight and water repellency of them, I tend to wear mine in town, and use more traditional things like Dri Climes and puffy coats and whatnot in the mountains. The two SS things I very consistently use in the woods are a hat and gloves. I revitalize both with wash-in DWR stuff often.

softshell hoods are useless, hoods are for rain, softshell = not for rain.

just wear a toque you pansies boxing_smiley.gif

I think softshells are really cool, but given the weight and water repellency of them, I tend to wear mine in town

yellaf.gif i'm certain the same argument is used by soccer moms to explain why their H2 never goes on a dirt road.

softshell hoods are useless, hoods are for rain, softshell = not for rain.

The there are those people who ski rolleyes.gifmoon.gif

How much time do you spend skiing on your head or in neck deep powder anyhow (rhetorical) rolleyes.gifthe_finger.gif

ppfff you don't have enough Canada West ski courses or Patagonia hooded soft shells to be engaging in an argument about skiing in shitstorms rolleyes.gif