Rainier this weekend?

eternalX

We've been planning a trip up Gib ledges for this weekend and the forecast says Mostly Cloudy with a chance of rain. To me that signals a low chance of wanting to venture beyond Muir. As a back-up we're thinking about Colchuck. Anybody have any experience with "mostly cloudy" conditions at rainier? My concern is getting up on the ledges nd getting into a whiteout and then only "hearing" rockfall.

Also, is it steep enough to glissade at all form muir to paradise? one guy doesn't have a board.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have any experience with "mostly cloudy" conditions at rainier?

The forecast last Sunday was almost identical, and we were pleasantly surprised by absolutely perfect weather when we hiked up Mt. Ruth (near the inter-glacier). I don't know what the conditions were like high on the mountain, but it was sunny, and no sign of a lenticular to be found...

Also, is it steep enough to glissade at all form muir to paradise? one guy doesn't have a board.

I would say that it is almost steep enough to glissade in places. So, no I wouldnt bet on your buddy keeping up, but wouldnt be too far behind. Mostly cloudy with chance of showers at this time of year up there can mean just about anything, but a lower freezing level for the ledges is one thing in your favor. Colchuck is in this time of year rather than a roll of the dice on Rainier.

My .02-I'm sure others have other things to say

TTT

"The forecast last Sunday was almost identical"

As was Saturday's, and it cleared up at about 2:30 p.m. Nearly every time I've bagged it because of 'mostly cloudy' forecasts I've then read tales of sun-drenched corn.

Generally speaking, it isn't steep enough to glissade from Muir to Paradise. There are some sections where you can, but the only people I've seen make real progress doing so have had one of those thin plastic sleds that roll up or something like that.

Edited by Sloggo