NOLS course advise

midweststuck

I have extensive backpacking experience in the US but little to no mountaineering experience and will be attending a NOLS course in Patagonia in the fall. I would love gear advise and just any little tips that some of the experienced climbers out there would like to give. Also if anyone knows of ways to find financial assistance that would also be cool but not nearly as important as the advise. Either PM me, leave a reply or contact me at ejnielsen5@att.net

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know someone from Iowa (dont get much flatter than that!) who took that same course down in Patagonia. Sounded like he had a great time!

Financially, there should be a scholarship application along with the NOLS catalog or you can call them and ask about their scholarships. I got a full scholarship for an OB course. Couldnt have done it w/o the financial support.

good luck

Pack for cold, wet and rainy. Bring along things for occaisonal warm weather. Chilean Patagonia is wetter than Paine/Fitzroy and much more lush. My .02 from 2.5 months there. I'd think NOLS will give you a long list of what they "require" you to bring.

Just outside of Coyhaique

455583-coyhaique.jpg

If you need financial assistance why not take a climbing course in the US? You could spend a lonnggg time in Patagonia with the difference in price. $5k takes a long time to spend in Patagonia - alot longer than the month you get for whatever class you take.

455583-coyhaique.jpg.238233b436c0c8f1c330f773330d486c.jpg