Maude - Seven Fingered Jack Beta?

Heavy_B

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a buddy of mine was just up there recently, he'll proabaly chime in soon. lots of fresh unstable snow thwarted any thoughts of maude for them. they climbed 7 finger via postholing and avy rubble. from his photos maude appears quite unstable, unconsolidated, and fluted.

blake, at about what elevation did continous snow start ? did you go in thru phelps creek ? if so, how far was the road driveable ? in general, does the country up there still look good for skiing ? thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Was up there a couple of weeks ago, and was way too much soft snow.

1. Road was still gated about 5 miles before Phelps creek trailhead. We hiked it anyway for some reason. tongue.gif

2. Snow started about 1/2 way to Leroy creek cutoff on Phelps creek trail. Super steep part on Leroy snow free.

Much snow after reaching Leroy basin.

3. Slide activity rampant on all aspects, at all elevations above Leroy basin. Regular descent from Maude to Leroy basin a timebomb waiting for someone to set it off. shocked.gif

4. Seven Fingered Jack easily climbed via soft snow and a 300 yd. neve gully to final easy snow field. Better views than Maude a couple of years ago when WA was burning down.

Any more questions, let me know.

Jimbo bigdrink.gif

Slide activity rampant on all aspects, at all elevations above Leroy basin. Regular descent from Maude to Leroy basin a timebomb waiting for someone to set it off.

I did the Phelps to Carne High Route last summer, and there was a lot of instability up there below SFJ. A lot of dirt was moved around in that general area by the 10/03 slide/flood thing that took out so many areas. There was a massive trough that went from below the solid rock of 7FJ to, well, it looked to us like it went all the way to the valley floor. It was maybe 50' wide and 25' deep. Big.

If anone goes into that area, I'd be interested to hear what, if anything, has happened since last year. Most, if not all of what we saw was between Phelps Creek and where you pop over to go to Ice Lakes.

Hey E-Dog:

I'm runnin' out of easy slogs up here! Can't we just sit in your hot tub and talk about climbing if I come down there?

Are you married yet?

All is well here -- my wife can still out hike you too, or so she thinks.

=;-)