• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Blake

Belay Loop Issues

Microcracks, if left unnnoticed, can quickly grow into a ferocious burkshard, and then you're really in trouble. Rowr!

Forget I ever asked this question. I just got done with 2 different 100' tyrolean traverses and some crag exploration/development on my NON-BELAY LOOPed 5oz harness, and all is good.

Dru, there ARE NO cases of belay biners being broken by belaying! If you can come up with a few examples with enough data to determine the actual cause of failure, please do so. (If you do, please start a new thread in the climbing forum. Hint: your cartoon biner isn't a belay biner.) The only reason to flog this deceased equine is that it's on a newbie forum and someone might come across it and actually believe what Dru has said. BTW: your skull is spinning in the wrong direction. grin.gif

Dru, there ARE NO cases of belay biners being broken by belaying!

On the contrary, there are several cases. Just because you are ignorant doesn't mean they didn't happen. You can probably find them on the British Mountaineering Council website if you look hard enough. I can't be bothered. wave.gif

Dru that one doesn't count and you know it. The biner was broken because the figure eight device caught on the gate and broke it by its leverage action.

Sounds like a belay biner being broken to me. Sounds like triaxial loading (in this case the third axis is the fig-8) to me. Doesn't sound like

NO CASES
to me! wave.gif

The same mode of failure can theoretically occur with any belay device attached to a biner by a hard loop... Fig-8, Gri Gri, that stupid Omega Pacific one, etc.