Belay Loop Issues

Blake

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru, there ARE NO cases of belay biners being broken by belaying! If you can come up with a few examples with enough data to determine the actual cause of failure, please do so. (If you do, please start a new thread in the climbing forum. Hint: your cartoon biner isn't a belay biner.) The only reason to flog this deceased equine is that it's on a newbie forum and someone might come across it and actually believe what Dru has said. BTW: your skull is spinning in the wrong direction. grin.gif

Dru, there ARE NO cases of belay biners being broken by belaying!

On the contrary, there are several cases. Just because you are ignorant doesn't mean they didn't happen. You can probably find them on the British Mountaineering Council website if you look hard enough. I can't be bothered. wave.gif

Sounds like a belay biner being broken to me. Sounds like triaxial loading (in this case the third axis is the fig-8) to me. Doesn't sound like

NO CASES
to me! wave.gif

The same mode of failure can theoretically occur with any belay device attached to a biner by a hard loop... Fig-8, Gri Gri, that stupid Omega Pacific one, etc.