REI tents

Ade

Has anybody used any of REI's backpacking/mountaineering tents. What did they think of them in terms of build quality and durability?

I'd like direct experience please, as opposed to some rant about how much REI suck.

Cheers,

Ade

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the REI Clipper. It's a lightweight 2 man 3 season tent. I used it in the snow with good results. 6 inches of heavy wet snow accumulated through the night, but it held strong. It has done well in winds to about 30 mph when you put the backside into the wind.

As far as quality - I have had no problems with any part of it. I have been using it for 2 years and everything is good.

A friend of mine uses the REI Mountain 2 Tent (2 man, 3 season) almost exclusively for climbing trips. I have a Mountain Hardwear myself, but I really have been impressed with the ease of setup, durability, comfort level, wind resistance, and the sweet orange color. smile.gif The price is right too at $249.

REI mountain 2 Tent

I've been using the Half Dome (2-man 3-season) for 2-3 years now for backpacking and kayak camping. So far it's held up quite nicely. It's not the lightest around at ~5 1/2 lbs, but it's nice to have two vestibules. And for ~$40 at the return sale, I sure can't complain!

I'd say if you find a good deal on an REI tent that matches your requirements, go for it.

I'm happy with my lightweight half dome (well lightweight until the quarter dome came in). And I got a convertible 3-4 seasons from REI for $79 (7 lbs for 2 people) that I'll try on snow if I don't succumb to the temptation of getting one of the sweet Montbell expedetion tents (can you spell overkill?).

drC

I worked for REI for a little under four years (ending last July) and we got to know the gear pretty well. Basically, with one or two exceptions, the tents they've been producing the last couple years are of excellent utility (lightweight, well thought out features), and very satisfactory quality. Of course everybody knows they're cheap. As long as you'll be using for either backpacking or basic mountaineering, I'd say go for it. The mountaineering tents are fine too, but don't have as many useful features, nor the quality of sierra designs, Mtn. Hdwr. of course Bibler, etc. The tents are great, I just wish I could say the same about REI's sleeping bags...

I'm guessing you saw the latest REI sale. I "rented" this tent last year for a quick trip (i forgot my other tent at the cabin) and I liked it as well. The two doors are nice. The one i rented was really heavy, but it was old and now it seems they've gotten the weight down quite a bit.

Absolutely spot on AF. You mentioned you exchanged it for the 2005 version, is that an option or were there issues that led you to do that? ie: does REI exchange old (er) for new?

BTW this is a great 2 person and 1½ dog tent as well. We havent had both the Lab and the Rott in it but I think the Lab and the hind end of the Rott would be OK.

REI Tents are good quality, but may be a bit heavy, and do not use most up to date materials. I just upgraded from an REI 2+ person dome (8 years use) to a Sierra Designs Hyperlight AST (MSRP $265, new on Ebay $165). Note that I originally paid $150 for my REI dome, which is at least two pounds heavier. I would'nt worry about the quality of REI tents, but do compare features and weight, and then shop for name brand tents with better features or weight on Ebay.

1/2 dome: I would also add that the velcro tabs on the roof vent are sewn to the fly after it's been seam-sealed, and the stitchings in the tabs can leak, so they need to be seam-sealed by you (2004 version). After doing this, my tent handled rain and even a little snow very well during a 3-day period of crappy weather on the ptarmigan traverse, staying very dry inside. Wind, however is a totally different story. I staked and guyed the shit out of the tent and it still tried to buckle under every big gust. I would highly discourage using it anywhere with high exposure to wind.

1/2 dome: Wind, however is a totally different story. I staked and guyed the shit out of the tent and it still tried to buckle under every big gust. I would highly discourage using it anywhere with high exposure to wind.

I got a 1/2 dome a couple month ago and took it to Death Valley. We had a couple days that where very windy with very very strong gusts. The dust kicked up was so bad that visibility was down to less than 1/8 mile. I very carefully tied everything down. The only damage we had was one slightly bent pole. I saw more than a few flat tens in the morning. The bigest problem we had was after a big gust of wind, the sand get under the fly and rain down on us through the mesh. I wouldn't exactly recomend it for high winds but when push came to shove, ours handled fairly well. In general I really like the tent but I have not had it long enough to really get to know it.

• 3 weeks later...

REI Tents are good quality, but may be a bit heavy, and do not use most up to date materials. I just upgraded from an REI 2+ person dome (8 years use) to a Sierra Designs Hyperlight AST (MSRP $265, new on Ebay $165). Note that I originally paid $150 for my REI dome, which is at least two pounds heavier. I would'nt worry about the quality of REI tents, but do compare features and weight, and then shop for name brand tents with better features or weight on Ebay.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Up to date materials? You know the ast is like 2 years old right? Check out the quarter dome. sil-nylon etc.

i've used the mountain 2 tent and I think it is the best two

wall 2 person mountaineering tent on the market when you consider space, value and durability.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used both the QD and the Sub Alpine a fair bit. I think that Ade might be too tall for the QD.

The QD's nice, easy to pitch, small and cozy, not great for people over 6'. My one complaint might be that the wide vestibules require a pretty big footprint.

The Sub Alpine, an update of the old Clipper, is 8 or nine ounces heavier, but much roomier. Longer, more headroom, not bad at all. My only complaint is the weird "tongue" door on the vesty.

Both are an excellent value IMO. Neither is at the high end of the spectrum, but definitely not at the low end either. They are well-made, with current materials such as Sil/PU fabric (just like the MSR Fast and Light tents) and DAC Featherlite poles.

I also worked for REI for a number of years and have been using a HalfDome+2 for the last two years for backpacking and mountaineering. REI tents are good quality. In general, I think their 4-season and convertible tents basically suck compared to MH, SD, etc. They are heavy, awkward, and not nearly as strong. The Halfdome simply rocks; you can get its minimum weight down to 4.7 pounds, its twin doors/vestibules make it very easy for two people to share it with full gear, and guyed out properly I have slept in mine in 50mph sustained winds and 70-80mph gusts at Ingerham Flats on Rainier. Mind you it was bending enough to bump me in the head with the poles, but it stood all night and that was enough for me. One simple and cheap modification that adds allot of strength is to wrap the pole intersections with shockcord as tight as you can when you pitch it ala Sierra Designs.