• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
wind_river51

How do you rockclimbers do it?

i dont understand tis, how do you guys do what you do? how in the world can anyone go up those big long multipitch deal and not freak out and lock up. ive only gone once and it ws like 40 feet off the ground and easy and i was still terrifyed, i see the pictures of you gusy and it makes me just feel sick.

how do you work your way up?

Do a search for a book by Dennis Horning and Hollis Marriot called "How do they get their ropes up there", It is a great reference for all things vertical. wave.gif

i dont understand tis, how do you guys do what you do? how in the world can anyone go up those big long multipitch deal and not freak out and lock up. ive only gone once and it ws like 40 feet off the ground and easy and i was still terrifyed, i see the pictures of you gusy and it makes me just feel sick.

how do you work your way up?

keep at it - it gets easier.

soon you will be a few thousand feet off the ground and have no worries in the world. (other than how the hell are you going ot crank that next move)

Mostly just like normal people, but probably a lot more acrobatic positions since we tend to more athletic and flexible.

My general technique is to get on the rock and flop around, very similiar to how a fish flops around when it is not in water.

One of my favorite comedians once said:

"I am not afraid of heights: I can be 500 feet off the ground and If I am 10 feet back, I am fine.

30 feet off the ground, and on a small ledge, though, I am terrified.

So, I am not afraid of heights - I am afraid of WIDTHS!

wave.gif

I just follow the chicks climbing above. Many of the ones climbing trad have a big rack too.

drC

i don't know, i use to be afraid of heights too, but i was so focused on the climbing that i only got scared on the way down, also it was good motivation for not falling so i was able to climb harder stuff faster unfortunatly now i like hanging around way off the ground and my climbing level has almost pleatued

added benifit though is now that i work construction i can just about run around on top of the secound story walls that are 5 1/2 in thick and 20 or so ft of the ground without to much problem.

It is a phobia if the response is not proportional to the stimulus.

Being scared of heights when jumping out of a plane without a parachute is rational.

Being scared of heights when looking out of an office window is an overreaction.

I have a friend who is so afraid of heights she gets sweaty palms just driving over the Narrows Bridge.

i am so afraid of heavy traffic that i get sweaty palms just thinking about driving over the narrows bridge

Re: How do you rockclimbers do it?

portaledges and sleeping bags baby grin.gif

portaledges are aid evils3d.gif