How do you rockclimbers do it?

wind_river51

i dont understand tis, how do you guys do what you do? how in the world can anyone go up those big long multipitch deal and not freak out and lock up. ive only gone once and it ws like 40 feet off the ground and easy and i was still terrifyed, i see the pictures of you gusy and it makes me just feel sick.

how do you work your way up?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont understand tis, how do you guys do what you do? how in the world can anyone go up those big long multipitch deal and not freak out and lock up. ive only gone once and it ws like 40 feet off the ground and easy and i was still terrifyed, i see the pictures of you gusy and it makes me just feel sick.

how do you work your way up?

keep at it - it gets easier.

One of my favorite comedians once said:

"I am not afraid of heights: I can be 500 feet off the ground and If I am 10 feet back, I am fine.

30 feet off the ground, and on a small ledge, though, I am terrified.

So, I am not afraid of heights - I am afraid of WIDTHS!

wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know, i use to be afraid of heights too, but i was so focused on the climbing that i only got scared on the way down, also it was good motivation for not falling so i was able to climb harder stuff faster unfortunatly now i like hanging around way off the ground and my climbing level has almost pleatued

added benifit though is now that i work construction i can just about run around on top of the secound story walls that are 5 1/2 in thick and 20 or so ft of the ground without to much problem.

It is a phobia if the response is not proportional to the stimulus.

Being scared of heights when jumping out of a plane without a parachute is rational.

Being scared of heights when looking out of an office window is an overreaction.

I have a friend who is so afraid of heights she gets sweaty palms just driving over the Narrows Bridge.

i am so afraid of heavy traffic that i get sweaty palms just thinking about driving over the narrows bridge