Whos done the hike to Prusick Peak

wind_river51

i saw this hike in this months backpacker, it looks like the coolest alpine lake in the world! prusick peak looks pretty darn cool too, can you climb it?

i also saw this hike on the cover of an old washington state hiking book, and its carzy tothink people have been hiking up there since the 60's. how in the world.

is it hard to do this hike in one day?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful place, some of the best climbing in the state is on Prusik. South face 5.9 is a classic.

It's a long hike in either way you go. You could do it in a long day, but then you would miss the chance to spend a little time up there. Friendly Dall sheep, beautiful lakes full of trout, classic white granite, limited # of permits daily so a really nice experience overall.

is it hard to do this hike in one day?

It is done in a day quite often. I did it last year and I think its 19 or 20 miles rt from Snow creek parking lot. Probably snow up there in places. You can also go via Colchuck lake which I think is shorter, but probably better later season.

TTT

Do it as a day trip, or an overnight, or a week. It is a beautiful place, and whatever itinerary you select will be fine. You may have a problem with insects in the main (mid-season), though.

To get to Lake Viviane, directly below Prussik Peak, the hike is about equal in distance and vertical gain either way (Snow Creek trailhead or Mountaineer Creek and over Aasgard Pass). If the weather is good, I'd prefer Aasgard, but if it is poor, Snow Creek.

For the full tour approach via snow creek parking lot to snow lakes, and take Asguard pass back to the colchuck lake/eighmile trailhead. make sure you do this, you'll be missing out if you go back the way you came. Don't go the other direction, it's hell going up that fucking pass. you'll need to shuttle a car or hitch, but the two trailheads are only about 6 or so miles apart. For added goodness, when you return via colchuck lake, take a detour up stuart lake.

Here are some photos along the way:

136stuart02.jpg

136dragontail01.jpg

136prussikhydrospout-med.jpg

136prussik2.jpg

I'd recommend fall for the colors. It is doable in a day. Depends on your conditioning. It's a matter of opinion, I like going in from Aasgard Pass (Colchuck Lake TH), then it's all downhill. Dall sheep? Aren't those native to Alaska. I know there are mountain goats up there, I'm not aware of any bighorn sheep though. And yes, IMHO it is one of the coolest places in the world, we're pretty lucky to have it nearby!

• 2 weeks later...

Layton's first two photos are not actually the Enchantments (Dragontail is sort of the Enchantments). Here's JayB's photo:

1282enchantments.jpg

Here's one from scotteryx:

321041.jpg

That's the enchantments. If you're going to Prusik Peak, check it out.