Mt. Whitney

eternalX

I know it's not in the Cascades, but does anybody have any experience with the Mountaneer's route on Whitney during the winter? Keep going back and forth on whether to bring snowshoes or not and how many days it's going to take. I just heard through a local Lone Pine store that the last guy who tried to summit in 2 days failed misreably, but no more information and the Whitney Portal Store web site is dead (yay for technology). We've got 3 days prepared and we're all in pretty good shape, but just curious if there are any special tips out there.

Thanks.

--tim [big Drink]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EternalX. Dont have any personal experience with recent conditions down there but a friend in the area said it has been pretty cold (single digits) higher up and the couple of feet of snow they have is pretty sugary and bad for travel. He said snowshoes would not make much of a difference.

I am not sure what the access is to the Whitney Portal this time of year. You may want to give the ranger station a call in Lone Pine 760-876-6200 or talk to someone at Wilson Eastside Sports in Bishop.

I was up there this September and it got down to 18 degrees at Iceberg lake so I would imagine it would be pretty cold this time of year. 3 days would be about right as long as you approach to Iceberg lake on day 1, climb day 2 and head out day 3.

A note for ya on the approach, the trailhead is at 8200 and Iceberg lake is at 12,300. Appraoch is 4 miles long. Hard to carry light packs in the winter.

Best of luck!

cgentzel@aai.cc

Looks like we're going to try and get in early Thursday and hike up the road that night, since they are going to bo locking the gate today far the season. I think we're going to bring the snowshoes, but i just hate bringing them and not using. Oh well, better safe then sorry. Thanks guys.

--tim [big Drink]

• 1 year later...

Hey eternal X,

So did you bring/and use the snowshoes for the Mounties Route approach last DEC?

Called the Ranger Station already, and they said YES, but has anyone else been up there in winter, and thought that they could have done without them? Understand that conditions change....

Thanks