bivy sacks?

skeletor

did you ever get the salathe? use it yet? comments? i was thinking about the salathe or the unishelter for myself ...

I did get the Salathe and I used it on North Sister about a month ago for the first time. They weren't exactly extreme conditions, but I was very happy with the bivy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

In that case, ID makes an eVent overbag at 18oz that might be a better choice than the "Endurance". Add 2oz if you want a zipper. Anyone used the ID eVent "South Col" bivy?

I love my "South Col". It was the driest of them all when we were rained on. However, my “South Col” is the older model pre-eVent. I abnormally sweaty guy so I tend to clam my bag very fast. My only assumption base on the older SC performance is that the eVent will offer a vast improvement over the older standard fabric (but I can’t justify buying a new one when my current one still going very strong). If you looking for the lightest package it will be, the “Endurance” (like it said before me) it is not totally waterproof but it is allot more breathable and highly water resistant at 11 oz.

If you looking only for one bag then I will go with the SC if you can afford both bivi, you will have a very sweet system.

I survived several nights of rain, snow and ice, sleeping on rock ledges in a tiny 8 ounce Mont Bell gore tex bivy bag. The thing was amazing, though it finally got me wet when I was buried in snow on the last night. I was really impressed with how well the little bag worked, but the whole time I yearned for my sturdy and roomy 24 ounce Integral designs bag!

Poles are heavy to carry on climbs especially where you might sit up to bivy and have no use for a pole anyway. Just my thoughts but I prefer the simple pole-less design.

Get bug mesh and a flap that will fully close for staying dry during thunderstorms, heavy mist etc.

There are tossups to both vertical and horizontal zippers. The clamshell type with the zip along the seam seem annoying to me.

You said seam seem. haha.