Chamonix - cheap places to stay?

Chopi

Hey,

I'm planning on going to Chamonix in August (yeah, I know, so is everyone else), and with the exchange rate the way it is I'm looking for a cheap place to stay. Does anyone have any recommendations? There's two of us, but we don't need a lot of space. Anyone know of any rooms for rent, etc?

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I stayed at a hostel called Ski Station. It was 12 Euro per bed per night (plus a little for a shower token). It's uphill maybe a quarter mile out of the very center of town on the opposite side of the valley from the Mt. Blanc range. It's literally right next door to the Brevant Cable Car. It's definetely a hostel; there will be others in your room, but getting an actual hotel room is far more expensive in Europe than a couple hostel beds. Oh, and if you're trying to save money, stay in Chamonix, avoiding Zermatt at all costs. And if you're trying to climb any ice routes, don't go in August.

This hostel was not full in mid-afternoon 8 out of 9 days that I stayed there (in August) but the tourist info place in the center of town can be quite helpful as well when things are filling up.

Also, one more thing, rent the "Let's Go" guide to France from your local library before you go. Very very helpful for budget travelers.

Now you've got me wishing I could go back...

That's the cheapest place in town. It's run by Veronique who is worth being nice to! If she likes you she'll offer to look after your gear while you head into the mountains. So, practise your french and be charming!

Otherwise, head to Argentiere and stay at the campsite there if you've got a tent (lots of Brits there, so at least you can speak english and find out info easily). That was about 8 euros a night last year I think. You can walk or hitch to Chamonix (5 miles ish) and La Joux and the Col des Montets boulders are close by if the weather is keeping you out of the mountains.