WSDOT will begin salting this winter

SEF

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you said, Allison.

I haven't ever lived in Oregon, but I have to say that the OR state government seems to serve its population better than the one here in WA. I don't believe that all Oregonians seethe in daily rage over the fact that they pay income tax. They may even be able to recognize the connection between taxation and public services!

Some of the voters in Washington (no one who subscribes to this page, of course)really seem to believe they can get something for nothing. It does not take a genius to see a connection between the move toward $30 car tabs, and a policy of salting the roads because it's cheaper. Or do the $30 tabs have nothing to do with reducing state funds, and instead it's all those wealthy transportation workers giving themselves fat raises? Give me a break. Washington voters have made their bed, in the form of an abandoned mattress on the roadside, and now we're all going to get to lie in it. [Mad]

quote:

Originally posted by eternalX:

Another case for the privitazation of roads. Cheers.

Now that would be an amusing social experiment. I'm not sure that any community in America would be willing to pay the full cost of roads & transport, but the West Coast in particular would have a fit (What do you mean my UPS rates are going to double!)

quote:

Originally posted by cj001f:

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Oregonians are way too smart for that.

We just allow everyone to drive around Portland in studded tires?

Why doesn't Bend have stud damage as much as some PDX streets? Less cars but more studs go figure.

They salt in BC, our cars dont rust any more than washington cars do. BUT when they put sand and gravel on the road (like on Hwy 1) you can kiss goodbye to your windshield cause evey time you drive to the Rockies you pick up some windshield cracks or chips.

Grew up in Chicago - salt sucks. I like the gravel and I accept the fact that I will replace my windshield about once every 18 months or so - $100 deductible, baby.

I've been gone, but I'm back. This is for Allison: Gary Locke is the anti-christ!! [Eek!][laf] I put chains on my 4X4 WITH studded tires and I don't slip. What's the big deal?

God what a thread. Great entertainment. Gary Locke the anti-christ...hahahaha naw he's too much a mamas boy by his looks, but I could be wrong.

Dru has the wildlife thing right. Many years ago in Alaska we did not see the numbers of moose on the hiways as we did in the last 12 to 15 years. DOT started a salting campaign that attracted them for the winter road salt.

I had a friend that taught biology at our local middle school. He was very interested in aquatic studies around our local school, so over the years he has been collecting data of insects, oxygen levels, clearity, etc. He started noticing that the ponds were changing, but he could not put a finger on it. Then he read a study done in either Michigan or Minnesota about the road salt and ponds that have no outlet to their system. Salt slowly builds up and starts killing the very species of fish most fisheries people like to catch...trout and land locked salmon.

I could go on but I just heard there is a roll over and a fire and Ihave to get to work.

As a native Chicagoan, I'm pretty opposed to salt too. (I remember, as a kid, the jack falling out of the trunk of my parents' car, right through the floor of the trunk!)

There used to be (maybe still are) car wash "clubs" you could join to get the underside of your car washed every day. The triumph of private enterprise, I guess.

What I'm curious about is what "chemical de-icers" they currently use on the roads. Presumably they're less noxious than salt, but I find it interesting they don't specify what they are in that article. Any of you chemists know?