[TR] Lane Peak - Zipper 4/26/2005

chesterboo

Climb: Lane Peak -Zipper

Date of Climb: 4/26/2005

Trip Report:

I climbed Lane Peak today for the first time. I could not find a partner so went solo. I left the car at 8;30 am and returned by 12;00 to the car. The snow was very soft and I would have prefered to wait until snow is freezing overnight. About 3/4 the way up a chalkstone with a good size step exists that requires one to stem against R hand wall and the chalk stone with your feet while pulling up on a shafted axe (or 2 axes in my case) to gain the step. The soft snow made this a tricky purchase for the axes and I was able just to put enough pressure on them to get the step up. That step is just below where the traverse from Lovers Lane comes over from the left. When I reached the col, I attempted to traverse snow fields over to find a shoot for the summit but the waste deep mush stopped me from going further and I just decided to descend. I could have continued and found a way up but I did not want to venture any more through the mush and I did not want to get myself into a place where I needed a rope to rap with. (I did not have one except for 10 meter safety cord and some slings)

Gear Notes:

2 axes (could do with one)

helmet

snow shoes for aproach (could do without)

Approach Notes:

Parked at gate to Reflection Lake

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic