about preserving the grandeur, beauty, and solitude of our first national

park.

[ 11-22-2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: glen ]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee glen, how often do you visit Yellowstone during winter? How are snowmachines impacting the "grandeur, beauty, and solitude" of Yellowstone for you during your visits?

I'm down with the idea of imposing exhaust and noise regulations. And I support riding snowmachines in winter over the same roads that are traversed by cars and RVs during the summer. But I don't support a ban on an activity that's been going on for generations.

quote:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

there is nothing more american than riding sleds, drinking schmidt, and littering in the backcountry.

c'mon now, let the sleds stay!

Tim,

Ya know, I also like riding on snowmobiles, hell its fun as shit, and they get you places quick. The problem is the extent of unchecked snowmobile use within the park. Seriously, it's like a freeway in LA out there. With those kinds of numbers, the impact is just too great.It's bad for the environment, and for other park users who enjoy some peace and quiet.

freeclimb9,

Not that Yellowstone is an untouched wilderness, but snowmobiles do have environmental impacts in Yellowstone, like afecting Bison migration patterns and such. And snowmobiles pollute much more than most cars.

It's a touchy subject though, because the economy of towns like West Yellowstone are almost soley dependent on the Snowmoblie industry in the winter. And the Silver Chord (a sweet ice climb) can only be approached via snowmobile.

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

Only? Really? I'm tentatively planning to visit Hyalite and am interested in access information. I can't imagine an area a snowmobile can go that I cant access on skis, albeit at a greater disadvantage time-wise.

Silver Chord is in Yellowstone. You could ski in, but it would make it a overnight trip for sure, perhaps multiple nights.

Was this a one-day survey? The website is 'not found' this morning. [Mad]

quote:

But I don't support a ban on an activity that's been going on for generations.

Freeclimb, you must be talking about families whose branches are mighty close together on the family tree! [big Grin]

snowmachines, great tool, two strokes entering the national parks in unlimited numbers, maybe not.

Interestingly enough, the previuos administration was all set to ban two stroke technology in national parklands, but than an oilindustry admininistration stepped into office and the whole notion of "environmental stewardship" went out the window

with the West Yellowstone/skidoo issues, the park staff was ready to file health and welfare suits with OSHA, the pollution at the winter gate is so bad.

quote:

Originally posted by RobBob:

Was this a one-day survey? The website is 'not found' this morning.
[Mad]

quote:

But I don't support a ban on an activity that's been going on for generations.

Freeclimb, you must be talking about families whose branches are mighty close together on the family tree!
[big Grin]
RobBob,

It doesn't work because glen put a coma in the end of the adress, delete the coma and it works.

This story is just another example of the motorized recreation friendly Bush Administration reversing the direction of Department of the Interior that had recommended banning. Hardly a surprise.

FYI, with the daily average number of snowmobiles entering Yellowstone at 840, the limit of 1,100 would affect only the volume of peak holiday usage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40711-2002Nov11.html