Spring Creek/Spring Mountain in the Wallowas??

climberchica

I have heard rumors of a nice climbing area in the Wallowas called Spring Creek or Spring Mountain or something like that. Where can I get some information? Also, what altitude is the climbing area (as in, would it be free of snow next weekend)? Is the trip out there worth it? While I love Frenchman's Coulee and Smith, I would really like to try someplace new.

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm heading down to Spring this evening actually. The forecast looks pretty good from what I've seen. The rock is much better than Vantage, it's Andesite like Tieton, but with less cracks. there are awesome trad lines there though. Best of all, there are tons less people. Some of the hard routes are drilled/chipped though. and some excessive bolting IMO. It's a lot like Vantage in that there are tons of routes really close together, allowing for a lot of routes per day. There's free camping about 1/2 mile from the climbing area. No parking permit required.

I hope to take some pictures that I can post. For weather, check Meacham, OR and Pendleton.

actually located in the blue mountain, not the wallowas. Very good mostly one pitch sport and trad routes. Best bolted route that goes nearly free with bomber natural gear is Flaked Out, very fun trad routes include Pod of God and Chopper, best mixed route is Epiphany (finger crack) then go straight up over the bolted roof instead of cutting left. Very favorite trad route is Hospital Corner. Many Many Many Many sport routes all of which are mostly high quality, and don't worry about runouts cause there are more bolts than you have draws. Can be crowded on the weekends by Whitman kids.

ryland,

It's just off of I-84 in Oregon, near a burg called Meacham. Go east past Pendleton, up over Cabbage Hill/Deadman's Hill (or whatever they're calling it now) and keep heading east and south towards La Grande. Take the Meacham exit off the freeway. If you drop over the crest of the Blue Mountains, you've gone a bit too far.

As shapp said above, it's in the Blues, not the Wallowas.